MOI for Linux?

Next
Hi,

Will MOI be made available for Linux in the future, or is the market there just too small? I know someone who is interested in MOI and other CAD programs, but he's running Linux and finding compatible CAD programs is, shall we say, very hard for the price.

Thanks,

Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6840.2 In reply to 6840.1 
MoI works great on Linux! You do have to run it through Wine, but it is not very hard to set up. Using MoI 2 and Wine 1.6, I only had to install IE8 through winetricks to get it to work. Michael has stated that MoI 3 is even easier to run via Wine (not requiring any winetricks), but I'm sure he will chime in.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6840.3 In reply to 6840.1 
Hi Bob, yes as Dan writes above it is possible to run MoI on Linux currently by using the Wine system, as long as you have a good enough video driver.

Right now I don't have any specific plans for a native Linux version, but that could be possible in the future if it ends up being requested frequently enough. Currently I don't really hear very many requests for it though.

There are also a couple of factors that make a Linux version somewhat complicated to implement, one is that it's often difficult to get good quality video drivers and another is that Linux comes in a really huge number of variations and it can be difficult to deliver a precompiled binary package that works on all systems rather than a source code package that then gets compiled on each system which is how most Linux open source software gets distributed.

So somewhat difficult to support + low demand = not really a big target area currently. But I have done work for MoI v3 so that it will run under the Wine system with the default Wine configuration and not need anything else to be added inside the Wine environment.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6840.4 In reply to 6840.3 
I just installed MOI3 beta on Ubuntu linux + wine and it works great (no wine tricks, no special setups). There is a little bit of funky "noise" streaks that occur when i change views, but it goes away as soon as I click something. Also, when you mouse over a line and it highlights, it doesnt like to "un-highlight" which gets weird. Otherwise it works ok.

on the note of supporting linux, I would rather see more development of the product rather than re-development to support linux. I only use Linux because my (good) computer failed and it might be a while until I can replace it. Until then, I am rockin' MoI on an Ubuntu Laptop. Woohoo!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All