Phantom Edges

Next
I want to delete these edges (Yellow extend ones) that appeared from when I thickened my basket carrier.
File included. I was using the latest beta. Any thoughts. I attached the file'

Image Attachments:
Size: 125.4 KB, Downloaded: 34 times, Dimensions: 1086x963px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6829.2 In reply to 6829.1 
Hi mike, it seems to be some problem in the trimming boundary on 2 surfaces, those surfaces will need to be extracted, untrimmed, and retrimmed and then joined back into place to fix it up. I'll see if I can do that for you here shortly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6829.3 In reply to 6829.1 
Hi mike, I've attached an updated model with those problem areas reconstructed so it should be fixed.

Unfortunately the thickening mechanism in the geometry library that MoI uses is somewhat prone to messing up the trimming boundaries when it tries to deal with extending or contracting areas.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6829.4 In reply to 6829.3 
Did you fix it using Moi, How?
In the meantime believe it or not after saving it as an obj I opened it in Hexagon selected this edges and deleted them.
I would love to know how to fix these things when they happen using Moi!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6829.5 In reply to 6829.4 
Hi mike, yup I fixed it using MoI - first I had to figure out which particular faces were the ones that the edges belong to, I did that by first hiding all the other objects going down the middle area to get them out of the way, then select the main object and run Edit > Separate on it to break it into individual surfaces. Then clear the selection. Then I did a window select on the sticking out edge, starting on the right and dragging towards the left (the window outline will show dashed which means anything crossing it at all will be targeted for selection. The other direction starting left and dragging towards the right only captures things completely contained within the window). After grabbing the errant edge with a window select the edges of the object that gets selected will do a quick flash on screen, by observing that flash and also zooming around and looking at what is then yellow after the selection was done I could tell it was the inside vertical faces that were messed up.

So now that the pieces are identified I undid the separation, then since those faces are planar it's pretty easy to rebuild them, just select them, delete them, there are now 2 planar openings in the object and those can be sealed off by selecting the object and running Construct > Planar.

In other cases when the openings are not planar it can be somewhat more tricky, that involves doing an "untrim" where you remove the current messed up trimming boundary to recover the full underlying surface, and then using Edit > Trim to retrim it.

There's some information on "untrim" here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

And there's more detailed information on this kind of repair process in the object repair tutorial here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

Hope that helps!

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6829.6 In reply to 6829.5 
Thanks for the education and your valuable time, you are always very gracious!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All