fuselage - wing joints using blend?
 1-20  21-22

Previous
Next
6827.21 In reply to 6827.20 
Here I've attached a test run of the extension technique, this one was done by actually making the wing out of an extended self-intersecting curve to start with in order to do the blends. The blend here was done in 2 separate pieces, with just regular blend not planar sections. Then it was a bit tricky to trim them, they did not intersect cleanly because of their shallow overlapping area so I had to generate an intersection curve, tweak a couple of points on it and then trim both surfaces to that common curve. Then I deleted the self-intersecting extended wing, trimmed the extensions off the self intersecting curves and then lofted those to get the final wing.

Final result is on the left, extended pieces working pieces on the right.

Seems to be a really good result, what do you think?

During some of the recent Blend overhauls I did experiment some with other ways to deal with discontinuities, without success... One attempt was to make an average of the 2 different cross section shapes at the corner and then gradually morph that back to the regular blend shapes as it travels some distance away from the corner. The problem with that is the loss of continuity in those areas.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

The result does look very good, it looks like you've kept G2 on the wing/fuselage connection. I think I tried something similar before and trimming that trailing edge junction but I either got that weird surface flipping or problems with the trimming because the two surfaces were skimming each other. The blend issues were part of the reason I asked the question about continuity options in other tools. Having that capability puts MoI into an entirely different area of solution. I'm not complaining, but I think it would be great to have such tools within MoI, if nothing more than for MoIs legendary implementation of the features.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-22