Bug or not bug?

Next
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 16 Jun 2007 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
682.2 In reply to 682.1 
Hi Pilou, it is a bug but like many fillet bugs it will not be easy to fix anytime too soon.

On some closer examination, it looks like the big problem here is that there is a very small edge right in that area:

Basically this has a situation where there are 2 corners separated by a small distance, instead of one single shared corner. That type of small edge creates a very small compressed area which really will tend to mess up fillets. If those were more exactly aligned it would have a better chance. But the best idea is to get the whole seam edge out of that area if possible as you have shown by rotation.

The fewer edges involved for fillet, the better chance it has.

My guess is that somehow the placement of either the revolve or the cutting piece is just not quite lined up with each other perfectly. This is the kind of thing where a very accurate and snapped together placement can help to avoid fillet problems.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
682.3 In reply to 682.2 
Maybe the guy had not circles really Parallel or the rectangular form nor really perpendicular?
Mystery :)
or decimal point is not enough for the calculate? round up makes false result?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
682.4 In reply to 682.3 
This one is about 0.03 units in length. That's not so small to be because of a rounding or limited precision error... Probably it's just from sketching the cutting rectangle more free-hand style instead of locking on with a snap.

In many situations you can do a free-hand sketch (without snapping, I mean), but when things come very close to one another, that's when it is better to lock on with snaps to ensure you get exact clean results.

But, if you use your rotation method to move the seam edge out of the way, then this small offset is not a problem since there isn't any other edge nearby there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All