Import Question

Next
Hi,
I was wondering if there is another way to import Moi data from one file to another.
Lets say I have two MoI files and I want to import two solids from one file into another MoI file.
As it stands now (I think) when I import something from one file I get everything in that file with no opportunity to
pick what I want. I just get everything.
Is there a way to pick and choose what I want ?

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6817.2 In reply to 6817.1 
One possibility the more speedy
Open any sessions of Moi in the same time with anything you want inside
Just select that you want in one session then Ctrl + c (on PC) Select all if you want :)
Ctrl + v in another session
et voilĂ  :)

Drag and drop don't work for the moment!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6817.3 In reply to 6817.1 
Hi jetblast, like Pilou says using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V is one good way. You don't actually have to use 2 separate sessions of MoI, you can open the file with the stuff you want to import, select the specific things and do Ctrl+C, those objects are now copied to the system clipboard. Now open up your target file and do Ctrl+V and you'll have the objects moved over.

Another way is to select the objects you want to move and do a File > Export, which writes only the selected objects to the file you pick. Then you can do a File > Import later on to bring that reduced file over.

> As it stands now (I think) when I import something from one file I get everything in that file with no opportunity to
> pick what I want. I just get everything.
> Is there a way to pick and choose what I want ?

There isn't any way to do it selectively at import time, but you can do it instead at export time, using File > Export writes just the selected objects instead of everything.

But probably copy/paste is the easiest.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6817.4 In reply to 6817.1 
Hi jetblast, or another process that would be closer to the "Pick and choose from the import" like you were originally asking for would be like this:

Step 1 - clear the selection by pushing Esc or clicking in empty space.

2 - do File > Import to bring in the file. Note that the objects that were just imported will all be selected.

3 - do an "isolate selection" by right-clicking on the Edit > Hide button. This will hide everything else other than the selected objects, and the current hidden/visible state of everything is remembered so it can be restored later.

4 - now you're only seeing just the objects from that import as the only visible things in the model. Remove pieces you don't want.

5 - right-click on Edit > Hide again to restore all the other stuff to the pre-isolate state.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6817.5 In reply to 6817.4 
Thanks Michael, I'll give it a try.
  Reply Reply More Options