OT - Freelancing (in 3D)

Next
Hi brothers of the nurbs watch (yes I'm watching game of thrones and It's a really bad joke...)

I'm leaving the agency where I worked for the past two years for many reasons.
There I've used MoI3D extensively and I wonder how the next one will do if he don't use it also (because trust me, they want precise stuff done in no time)

I'm creating this thread to discuss with you about everything related to freelancing and specifically in 3D (modeling, rendering, animations, interior design, point of sale and so on)

I'd love to here from those of you that are freelancer or that have been in the past, how did you started and why?

I've made a list of questions that can start new discussions:

- How much do you charge (for modeling alone, for modeling + rendering) and so on. Is it based on the difficulty or the type of task?
- How do you handle files? Do you have a network storage and you work on it (bandwidth isn't limiting?)
- How do you deliver files? Do clients ask you about sources files sometimes?
- What type of job do you refuse and why?
- How do you deal with jobs too hard for you technically? Do you outsource?

I'll share some of my learnings of the past two years as well.

Cheers,
Sam
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Hello Shapenoid,

As someone who regularly collaborates with freelancers and firms of various sizes I can share some thoughts from the other side of the table that may help you. I'll take a crack at your questions but also add some things to consider.

- How much do you charge (for modeling alone, for modeling + rendering) and so on. Is it based on the difficulty or the type of task?
--- You'll get a different answer for everyone you ask that question of. I know of designers that changed their rates just by moving to another city where the cost of living wasn't so much. Also consider your overhead costs to run your business, in addition to any profit you want to make. Realize that you won't get too far trying exotic pricing schemes with savvy prospects. Being able to come up with accurate written estimates for work specified can really help your business if you concentrate on honing that skill early on. With the use of the Internet your competition is global in scope for the type of work that you do, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to charge less, more on that later.

- How do you handle files? Do you have a network storage and you work on it (bandwidth isn't limiting?)
--- Distributed secure versioning systems are very nice to have, but most don't use them. In the meantime my best suggestion is secure your files in as many locations as practical, this will protect you against failure and you have little chance of not being able to recover a needed file.

- How do you deliver files? Do clients ask you about sources files sometimes?
--- I know I appreciate the freelancer at least asking me how I would like to receive the files. If the freelancer is competent that will be a question they ask prior to the start of the project. I know I ask for source files 100% of the time once final retainer has been paid. Note the most important part of that sentence, once you've been paid 100%. It would be crazy to give away source files with anything less than full payment.

- What type of job do you refuse and why?
--- In my experience it's not a job issue, it's a people issue. I've always found that just email back and forth to take on a customer isn't usually a good idea. Face to face contact is best, or if geography is a problem video conference is the next best thing. It is very hard to read intent through email only, with more direct contact you are able to feel out the prospect. You have to be willing to walk away from a prospect that is troublesome, there is no amount of money that makes it worth it. Remember, you want the troublesome customers to go to your competition.

- How do you deal with jobs too hard for you technically? Do you outsource?
--- As you know large firms use freelancers all the time to do the work to present to clients, it is the nature of that business. Customers with experience realize you are not an expert at all disciplines, but they depend on you to execute their vision and meet their expectation. If you are able to find other freelancers that you work well with it is simply a numerical calculation, if you can pay someone to do the job better or faster and turn a profit it's less stress for you. That said it is critical that you find others that you work very well with if you choose to outsource.

---
Now some suggestions that you may not have thought of. Try to think less in terms of jobs and more in terms of good customers. If you think in job terms you've just grouped yourself in with a few million other people doing piece work sweatshop style. Even if the project size is small, concentrate on the customer experience if you want to stay at the top of the contact list when new work comes up or someone needs a recommendation for a freelancer. Bother to take a little time to find out what your designing, customers appreciate that. Know your strong points in design and capitalize on them. I took a look at your site and I think it is a mistake to discount your hand drawing skills. I can count on one hand how many designers I know of that can really create art by hand well, and all of them are exceptional designers. After all, don't final products products start with a sketch? I'd hire someone with solid hand drawing and painting skills over someone who knew their way around more software. At then end of the day it really doesn't matter what tools you use to get the job done if you provide the solution that meets or exceeds a customers expectation.

A few things that are red flags to me when evaluating designers for projects... Lack of strong paperwork or organization. Please have your agreements, contracts, presentation frameworks together before prospecting. Having paperwork in line when you close deals is a huge advantage and will make sure that the customer knows exactly what you are providing for a specific cost. If the customer asks for more, you can add cost. Paperwork also is a good indicator of intent of a prospect. I've never had a prospect balk at signing paperwork to begin a project unless they had a dishonest motive. It will protect both of you.

Sharpen your listening and questioning skills. For the most part customers are looking to you to be the voice of design reason, that means asking customer centric questions and listening more than you talk, and properly interpreting those answers into something tangible. Being able to do this will directly effect the amount you are able to charge (within reason). Never discount the ideas of the customer but consider that your opinion is important as well, if it wasn't they wouldn't have hired you, correct? If you make time to know about your customers business you will always be able to be ready for the next project. I know this is a great deal about business and not a whole lot about design, but being bad on the business end will eventually make you unhappy with the design work. As you may know the suggestions have a definite US slant to them, I realize things run a little differently in the EU, but I hope it's good advice for you nonetheless.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All