Variable Fillet Radius Problem - V3 June

Next
Can't seem to get it to work on this shape using the new variable fillet radius.

Where the two points are on the attached image I want to put a radius of 0.02. It doesn't do anything

I tried with circular, G1 and G2. I am new to the tool so perhaps I am doing something wrong ?

Image Attachments:
Size: 63.1 KB, Downloaded: 100 times, Dimensions: 747x537px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6805.2 In reply to 6805.1 
Hi Kevin,

Using such small units can cause problems sometimes try larger numbers for the fillet by scaling the model up say by a factor of 10 or even 100 and it should work as expected.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

You could also try sweeping a variable set of circles around that edge, trimming away the swept surface from the solid and then using the blend command to blend in the resulting edges. It's a little more work but it creates a nice solid result.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6805.4 In reply to 6805.1 
Hi Kevin, when you don't see anything happen at all after adding some points, (like no "Calculation failed" message) it could mean that the filleter does not think those points are on those edges (may be a tolerance thing related to the small size of the part too), I'll investigate it some and see if I can find out what's going wrong there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6805.5 In reply to 6805.1 
Hi Kevin, ok so it's a bug - since fillets at a small radius value have a tendency to not work very well, the filleter has a mechanism where if you use a fillet radius smaller than a certain size, it internally scales the model upwards and does the fillet at a larger scale, then scales the result back down again.

The bug is that when this internal scaling is being applied, it wasn't getting applied to the point set points and so it didn't think the points were on the edges.

I've got this tuned up for the v3 final release so your posted case will work properly there. In the meantime if you scale it up by 10x in size and do the filleting on the up scaled version, it will avoid triggering the internal auto scaling mode and not trigger the bug.

Thanks for posting the file, it's good to get this fixed up before the v3 final release.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Doh, I keep forgetting about the need to work in the 1 to 1000 range for the model size. Michael is that still the case in V3 ?

Thanks for reminding about it.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6805.7 In reply to 6805.6 
Hi Kevin,

> Doh, I keep forgetting about the need to work in the 1 to 1000 range for the
> model size. Michael is that still the case in V3 ?

There's been progress in V3 to make various things more adaptive to object sizes rather than using only a fixed fitting tolerance, but it's still possible to run into problem areas.

Your particular case here was just a bug - I've fixed it up for the V3 final version so your original case at your original small size will work ok.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Ok, thanks Michael

Being able to work at any size is a big plus.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All