Real world project - Property conversion for my severely disabled wife WIP
 1-8  9-28  29-44

Previous
Next
6786.9 In reply to 6786.8 
I think it depends.

Moss likes acidic, low pH. Wood ash is potash, and is higher pH, alkaline.

Looked on Google:

How to grow moss: http://www.mossandstonegardens.com/blog/how-to-grow-moss/

Then I came upon how to grow morel mushrooms...

- Brian

The composite decking on my little porch is deteriorating, and does get slick.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.10 In reply to 6786.9 
Came across a free texture site, with commercial use allowed. Daily download limit.

http://texturelib.com/#!/category/?path=/Textures/wood/burnt

- Brian

shou-sugi-ban

EDITED: 25 Jun 2014 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

Prepping the ground for the patio base - More work to be done to the pond so it will have a larger area away from the fish so frogs can breed and have a chance of producing off-spring, this will also allow an area for water plants that will encourage Dragon and Damsel flies. The sandstone rocks will eventually be piled in such a way as to work as a winter hotel for the frogs and other insect wildlife.

Once the base is down, then it will be time to design the summer house proper (gulp).

Martin Spencer-Ford

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.12 In reply to 6786.11 
Some good progress Martin!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.13 In reply to 6786.12 
Thanks Michael - It's been a pain in the backside to get the area ready, weed-killing the ground, then having to wait for all the weeds/grass to be killed off, then the garden slopes in two directions so the retaining wall needs to be modified a little so we can have a true level for the slabbing ... I have them ordered but have forgotten what brand they are, the slabs look like granite but are cast concrete and are a blue-grey slate like colour and are heavily textured for a hopefully non slip finish. The colour should also match with that of the glacial boulders that are in the plan but not ordered yet .... It just seems to go on and on and on ...

Martin Spencer-Ford

** Edit **

Found the slabbing stones to be used.

EDITED: 17 Jul 2014 by TPWUK

Image Attachments:
Size: 43.6 KB, Downloaded: 29 times, Dimensions: 800x443px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.14 In reply to 6786.13 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eoDfh_ZXrg

We did it on dirt, but did use 1" sand, concrete pavers touching, no mortar. (Not the proper way to do it.)
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0515001422114.html

A proper way to do it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7980660_making-patio-concrete-blocks.html
On This Old House show, they use about 6 inches of special crushed "gravel."

= Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.15 In reply to 6786.14 
Hey thanks for reply Brian, there are several ways of putting down slabs, in this case it will be load stone and sharp sand (sandy grit) whacked down and then the slabs will be laid with a mortar bed. They won't be going anywhere soon with that method and it should be weather proof for years.

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A long time since an update here, but it's not a dead project. Got new computer equipment here that has taken an age to set up and get running smoothly, but forcing something to play with OS X is not always an easy task. There has also been legal matters that needed attention including a court appeals process thanks to the "Bedroom Tax" imposed by our ever so friendly government.

So the slabs are down and the ground has been soft-scaped. The nice Japanese Maple did not make it through last summer(2014), where the prolonged high temperatures scorched its leaves and dried out the thin spindly branches leaving nothing to power the root system. Effectively fried alive! So having the new plants added to the garden has cheered things up a little, but now the new puppy has had a good chew on them and has an insatiable appetite for compost. As he has grown he can now get inside the planters and eats the compost, leaving plant roots exposed etc etc.

Here's the slabs down waiting for the gazebo, which I am happy to say I have finally gotten a start on. This project has to be done with some haste now, but the pond re-build will now have to wait as the frogs have left us with several large clumps of spawn, so once the baby frogs have left the pond then it will get reshaped and extended. Been waiting seven years for frogs to breed in the pond and we even resorted to importing spawn and tadpoles from other areas, so this seems to have finally paid off.

If the weather gets decent as predicted for this afternoon i will take some other pictures of the planting, and the gravel (that's exciting isn't it!?).
Finally here is where i am now with the Gazebo/Pergola. Needs some profiling work on the rafters and the decking subframe needs to be added along with a Buddha Gong and some bamboo wind chimes, but all is going well, and the design should be completed over this week-end. Then I can cost it up, purchase the timbers and get it built hopefully before May 21st, the wife's birthday. Would be a nice birthday gift i feel. If not then by end of June ready for those long balmy sunny days of British summer-time (yeah right).

Wishing everybody all the best ...

Martin Spencer-Ford

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.17 In reply to 6786.16 
@Martin:Finally here is where i am now with the Gazebo/Pergola

Now i learned can say "Pergola" in English too :)
We use to grow up the "Isabella grape" on the Pergola,but your garden is Japanese-stlyle,not Mediterranean

Good job Martin :)

M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.18 In reply to 6786.16 
It's coming along nicely Martin, the Gazebo will be great when it is finished up!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.19 In reply to 6786.18 
It's certainly easier with Moi in the tool-box. Sadly the octagonal design had to be scrapped because there was not enough ground space and local planning regulations to keep it looking aesthetically good. So back to 'square n blocky' - shame really, but hey ho, that's the way it sometimes happens.

The costing plan is now complete, so just need to enter the numbers to cost it up. As for the drawing, it needs trimming and filleting work to finish it off along with some strings for hanging elements and of course the hammer for the gong.

Martin Spencer-Ford

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Quick visualise session to see how things look. Still need to do the subframe, but finding UK timber suppliers that do ready cut for the dimensions has taken more time than it has to model it - Such is life. Still need to do the bamboo wind-chime ties too.

Height from slabbing to the decking top is just 90mm and I am struggling with making up my mind whether to ramp it or leave it as a mini step. What do you guys thing i should do ? (keep it sensible please) :)

Martin Spencer-Ford.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.21 In reply to 6786.20 
Hi Martin,

> Height from slabbing to the decking top is just 90mm and I am struggling with making
> up my mind whether to ramp it or leave it as a mini step. What do you guys thing
> i should do ?

Hmmm yeah that's a pretty short step but you will be bringing a wheelchair up there, right? I guess a ramp would maybe make it just a bit easier...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.22 In reply to 6786.21 
Hi Michael ...

>> Hmmm yeah that's a pretty short step but you will be bringing a wheelchair up there, right? I guess a ramp would maybe make it just a bit easier...

Yes, my wife is in a wheelchair. Ramp could be a little easier for access (and i ain't getting any younger) plus it does not increase the expense, just wastage and i always struggle with that. I think the simplest thing to do is to design both, see which looks the finest :)

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.23 In reply to 6786.22 
Hey Martin,
progress! I Cant wait to see you and your wife enjoying it...

I wanted to try to give some inspiration. What kind of flooring? If you could start to consider something like Bamboo, you could attempt a design that leaves the entrance area of the floor with a variable support. Without an initial entrance support, the overhang floor slating would be flexible enough to ramp the 90 mm.... You could then have either a manual shoring truss, or even create something that is variable with a lever, for when you have guests that need to step there.....

Anyway, that's all I have... The pavers look nice by the way...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.24 In reply to 6786.23 
Hi Martin ..

A ramp by all means ... even a fairly steep ramp for a short distance will be a lot easier over time than a step you have to wrestle with.

Looks good, by the way.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is so exciting, Im glad I found this thread!
Wish you all the best on your project
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@BurrMan

> I wanted to try to give some inspiration. What kind of flooring? If you could start to consider something like Bamboo, you could attempt a design that leaves the entrance area of the floor with a variable support. Without an initial entrance support, the overhang floor slating would be flexible enough to ramp the 90 mm.... You could then have either a manual shoring truss, or even create something that is variable with a lever, for when you have guests that need to step there..... <

Strangely enough i did look into bamboo flooring. I decided against it as i don't have experience with working with it and i personally struggle with composites and laminates. Composites tend to hollow and are therefore weakened s soon as they are cut or drilled through and i have seen plenty of decks where the subframe was poorly designed resulting in the composite decking boards collapsing under a relatively light load. Laminates are far better, especially if you have a relatively consistent weather system. I am in the midlands of the UK and our weather tends to be extremes of wet and cold with long hot spells and somewhat storm force winds, so again where the laminates are cut, you can't guarantee there are no pores or gaps in the sandwich layers and the ends where they have been cut to size tend to de-laminate over time where moisture has gained entrance.

Love the idea of having a lift type system and would certainly have considered it for larger raise. And the idea of a weight based ramp is good too. My wife's weight is not the issue, her spasticity burns calories like you would never know, my weight on the other hand is more drastic - lol

@Eric> Hi Martin ..

A ramp by all means ... even a fairly steep ramp for a short distance will be a lot easier over time than a step you have to wrestle with.

Looks good, by the way. <

Agreed - A little ramping force would make the tilting of the chair a lot easier on my elbows and would reduce metal fatigue on the handle mounts which again because of my weight is an issue. I hate wobbly wheelchairs and the aluminium one i invested in has only been used a few times (well under 50 trips) and the handles are already loose and wobbly and tightening them up don't really help for any length of time. Poor design from the manufacturers and poor choice by me, but for no it suffices and enables us to use normal transportation rather than ambulances, which is what we have to use with her super chair that works on the tilt in space principles and is a far more sturdy construction and is actually heavier than my wife!

@BlindFoldJump> This is so exciting, Im glad I found this thread!
Wish you all the best on your project <

I am a garden designer by trade so this is my bread and butter job, or at least was. It's staggering that in all the years of garden design i have done, I have never had to design a garden space for a severely disabled person so this side of the design work has been a massive learning curve for me. Regulations on ramps and what are acceptable slope ratios, materials and their finishes, rough, smooth, hardness, softness etc etc. Every part has to be thought out and it massively slows things down. This is where MoI comes into its own though. Its speedy interface and workflow makes concept drawings a lot more easy than other CAD software i have, and the fast 3D viewport is an invaluable asset when visualising things. Even if models become heavy you can adjust the meshing angle and get the speed back.

My wife's prognosis is not good, 93% of all survivors of her type of acquired brain injury do not survive more than five years, in two days time it will be her 4th year of survival and it fills me with fear, but if she doesn't make it to the magic 6th year then at least i will be able to design garden spaces for residential care or private homes that are occupied by disabled persons. MoI again has made this a possibility for my future and it will most definitely remain in my software tool-bag even if i don't return to being garden designer.

Thanks for your wishes, and I wish you all the best too

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The gazebo design is now up on GrabCAD. It still requires the subframe being added and the hanging ties and cuts for the wind chimes but at least you can take a closer at things. Timber costs alone are a little over £1400, the gong will add around £250 and the wind chimes are looking as if they will be a bespoke feature and as such I have now idea of cost yet, so if any of you know how to get pleasing sounds from large bamboo feel free to price me up a quote :)

https://grabcad.com/library/rwp-gazebo-1

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.28 In reply to 6786.26 
Hey Martin

"My wife's prognosis is not good, 93% of all survivors of her type of acquired brain injury do not survive more than five years, in two days time it will be her 4th year of survival and it fills me with fear"

Im so sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope she is one of the 7%.
You are doing a great thing for her, and it looks awesome.
Happy to see MoI succesfully in action in so many different ways, such a great tool.

Looking forward to see more from you

Best
Niklas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-44