Real world project - Property conversion for my severely disabled wife WIP
 1-20  21-40  41-44

Previous
Next
6786.21 In reply to 6786.20 
Hi Martin,

> Height from slabbing to the decking top is just 90mm and I am struggling with making
> up my mind whether to ramp it or leave it as a mini step. What do you guys thing
> i should do ?

Hmmm yeah that's a pretty short step but you will be bringing a wheelchair up there, right? I guess a ramp would maybe make it just a bit easier...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.22 In reply to 6786.21 
Hi Michael ...

>> Hmmm yeah that's a pretty short step but you will be bringing a wheelchair up there, right? I guess a ramp would maybe make it just a bit easier...

Yes, my wife is in a wheelchair. Ramp could be a little easier for access (and i ain't getting any younger) plus it does not increase the expense, just wastage and i always struggle with that. I think the simplest thing to do is to design both, see which looks the finest :)

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.23 In reply to 6786.22 
Hey Martin,
progress! I Cant wait to see you and your wife enjoying it...

I wanted to try to give some inspiration. What kind of flooring? If you could start to consider something like Bamboo, you could attempt a design that leaves the entrance area of the floor with a variable support. Without an initial entrance support, the overhang floor slating would be flexible enough to ramp the 90 mm.... You could then have either a manual shoring truss, or even create something that is variable with a lever, for when you have guests that need to step there.....

Anyway, that's all I have... The pavers look nice by the way...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.24 In reply to 6786.23 
Hi Martin ..

A ramp by all means ... even a fairly steep ramp for a short distance will be a lot easier over time than a step you have to wrestle with.

Looks good, by the way.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is so exciting, Im glad I found this thread!
Wish you all the best on your project
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@BurrMan

> I wanted to try to give some inspiration. What kind of flooring? If you could start to consider something like Bamboo, you could attempt a design that leaves the entrance area of the floor with a variable support. Without an initial entrance support, the overhang floor slating would be flexible enough to ramp the 90 mm.... You could then have either a manual shoring truss, or even create something that is variable with a lever, for when you have guests that need to step there..... <

Strangely enough i did look into bamboo flooring. I decided against it as i don't have experience with working with it and i personally struggle with composites and laminates. Composites tend to hollow and are therefore weakened s soon as they are cut or drilled through and i have seen plenty of decks where the subframe was poorly designed resulting in the composite decking boards collapsing under a relatively light load. Laminates are far better, especially if you have a relatively consistent weather system. I am in the midlands of the UK and our weather tends to be extremes of wet and cold with long hot spells and somewhat storm force winds, so again where the laminates are cut, you can't guarantee there are no pores or gaps in the sandwich layers and the ends where they have been cut to size tend to de-laminate over time where moisture has gained entrance.

Love the idea of having a lift type system and would certainly have considered it for larger raise. And the idea of a weight based ramp is good too. My wife's weight is not the issue, her spasticity burns calories like you would never know, my weight on the other hand is more drastic - lol

@Eric> Hi Martin ..

A ramp by all means ... even a fairly steep ramp for a short distance will be a lot easier over time than a step you have to wrestle with.

Looks good, by the way. <

Agreed - A little ramping force would make the tilting of the chair a lot easier on my elbows and would reduce metal fatigue on the handle mounts which again because of my weight is an issue. I hate wobbly wheelchairs and the aluminium one i invested in has only been used a few times (well under 50 trips) and the handles are already loose and wobbly and tightening them up don't really help for any length of time. Poor design from the manufacturers and poor choice by me, but for no it suffices and enables us to use normal transportation rather than ambulances, which is what we have to use with her super chair that works on the tilt in space principles and is a far more sturdy construction and is actually heavier than my wife!

@BlindFoldJump> This is so exciting, Im glad I found this thread!
Wish you all the best on your project <

I am a garden designer by trade so this is my bread and butter job, or at least was. It's staggering that in all the years of garden design i have done, I have never had to design a garden space for a severely disabled person so this side of the design work has been a massive learning curve for me. Regulations on ramps and what are acceptable slope ratios, materials and their finishes, rough, smooth, hardness, softness etc etc. Every part has to be thought out and it massively slows things down. This is where MoI comes into its own though. Its speedy interface and workflow makes concept drawings a lot more easy than other CAD software i have, and the fast 3D viewport is an invaluable asset when visualising things. Even if models become heavy you can adjust the meshing angle and get the speed back.

My wife's prognosis is not good, 93% of all survivors of her type of acquired brain injury do not survive more than five years, in two days time it will be her 4th year of survival and it fills me with fear, but if she doesn't make it to the magic 6th year then at least i will be able to design garden spaces for residential care or private homes that are occupied by disabled persons. MoI again has made this a possibility for my future and it will most definitely remain in my software tool-bag even if i don't return to being garden designer.

Thanks for your wishes, and I wish you all the best too

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The gazebo design is now up on GrabCAD. It still requires the subframe being added and the hanging ties and cuts for the wind chimes but at least you can take a closer at things. Timber costs alone are a little over £1400, the gong will add around £250 and the wind chimes are looking as if they will be a bespoke feature and as such I have now idea of cost yet, so if any of you know how to get pleasing sounds from large bamboo feel free to price me up a quote :)

https://grabcad.com/library/rwp-gazebo-1

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.28 In reply to 6786.26 
Hey Martin

"My wife's prognosis is not good, 93% of all survivors of her type of acquired brain injury do not survive more than five years, in two days time it will be her 4th year of survival and it fills me with fear"

Im so sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope she is one of the 7%.
You are doing a great thing for her, and it looks awesome.
Happy to see MoI succesfully in action in so many different ways, such a great tool.

Looking forward to see more from you

Best
Niklas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Still working on the 3D garden design part ... I seem to have lost my original model of the decking and emergency exit, it must have been on the hard drive that died late last year, so i will have to do it again, it's the only part left to do on the design now, and since i have done it once before it should be a quick and easy job to re-model it.

Martin Spencer-Ford

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.30 In reply to 6786.29 
Which viewer is recommended for JPeg2000?
(IrfanView seems to be popular?)

- Brian

Installed IrfanView. Also copied the Jpeg2000.dll plugin, one of the many .dll(s) in the the Plugins download, to ProgramFiles(x86)/Irfanview/Plugins.
The two downloads seemed clean, without a bunch of tricky 3rd party downloads...

EDITED: 6 Apr 2015 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.31 In reply to 6786.30 
Sorry Brian, I just exported it as JPeg2000 because it's smaller than PNG and is part of Mac OS X viewer. I should have thought of that, doh!

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.32 In reply to 6786.31 
No problem Martin. There seem to be a few dozen viewers. Just have to find a "good" viewer, without downloading "Junk."

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.33 In reply to 6786.32 
I like IrfanView, and have used it for years. It has a multi-image viewer; which you can customize. It can also print contact sheets, etc. Never had a version with malware attached.
Ron
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The design work is complete, there is at least one boolean i missed but it's not important and can be fixed at construction time. Hoping to start the build early May 2015

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1648291982058866.1073741835.1488815808006485&type=3

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.35 In reply to 6786.34 
Very nice, Martin.
Thanks for sharing it.

Eric Clough
Building Designer and Landscape Architect
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.36 In reply to 6786.35 
@ Eric - Hi Eric, thanks for the comments and you are welcome. Are you large scale Landscape Architect or garden designer like myself ?

When the construction is complete and functionality has been tried and tested I will put the whole design up on GrabCAD so it will have the decking area as well as the gazebo and the pond. The only thing you will need to do as add your own planting schema.

Wishing everyone all the very best

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.37 In reply to 6786.36 
Hi Martin ...

I guess you would say I am a 'large scale' landscape architect ... I only do private gardens when I design a house for a client. Some of the municipalities in this area require registered landscape architects for development permits so I do a fair amount of that type of work as well as commercial site planning and park development. My first 14 years of practice was in the San Francisco bay area and I did lots of private landscape architecture there incorporating outdoor living spaces and swimming pools.

My work over the last many years focuses more on site development planning (with planting specs included), residential architecture, affordable housing, and some commercial work (currently working on a veterinary clinic, a country butcher shop/restaurant, a residence and some multiple housing). I work in a very rural area (in BC Canada) with scattered small cities so my work is extremely varied ... from some very small projects (like a new front porch) to numerous medium sized ones (hardly ever exceeding a million).

I appreciate your good design work and attention to detail.

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.38 In reply to 6786.37 
Hi Eric

>> I guess you would say I am a 'large scale' landscape architect ... I only do private gardens when I design a house for a client. Some of the municipalities in this area require registered landscape architects for development permits so I do a fair amount of that type of work as well as commercial site planning and park development. My first 14 years of practice was in the San Francisco bay area and I did lots of private landscape architecture there incorporating outdoor living spaces and swimming pools. <<

I have done gardens up to 4 acres in size but find them very cumbersome when they are so large, it wouldn't be so bad if they let you have free reign but they never do. Never designed a swimming pool other than to put dimensions and a label stating swimming pool, i pretty much avoid water designs as much as possible, ponds i can handle and drainage systems, other than that i don't tempt providence :)>> My work over the last many years focuses more on site development planning (with planting specs included), residential architecture, affordable housing, and some commercial work (currently working on a veterinary clinic, a country butcher shop/restaurant, a residence and some multiple housing). I work in a very rural area (in BC Canada) with scattered small cities so my work is extremely varied ... from some very small projects (like a new front porch) to numerous medium sized ones (hardly ever exceeding a million). <<

I did lots of this type work about 25 years ago when the UK had a building boom and I did the landscaping designs for 'public' areas, i prefer to call it no mans land but i certainly never made anywhere near a million from them - lol.

Done bespoke conservatory, greenhouse, garages, lean-toos and even garden potting sheds etc., but back then it was all pen and paper.

I miss it all, the banter with the workers and the excitement of chasing after design contracts, getting down n dirty, still hate surveying !!>> I appreciate your good design work and attention to detail. <<

Thanks :) Would love to see some of your projects, send me a PM if you have a link you don't mind sharing it or them, don't need files, just pictures will do

All the best Eric

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6786.39 In reply to 6786.20 
Timber has been ordered today - Construction starts 9th June 2015 - Yay, the final big spend.

Rendered images of the design can be found here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1648291982058866.1073741835.1488815808006485&type=3

Michael I need to claw back some forum post space .... Are you able to do this when you have time or is it something i need to do manually ?

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 6786.40 deleted 5 Jun 2015 by WASTZZZ

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-44