automatically place tiles on the slopes of a roof ?

Next
...sorry for my poor English....with Google translator.
it is possible to develop a plugin to automatically place and cut tiles on the slopes of a roof ?
I created some models and did some tests ... it would be very useful to complete 3d models..
This plugin could work as "Tuileg" for cinema 4d also in semi-automatic mode..
any of you have done roofs detailed in 3d using MOI3d?
Image Attachments:
Size: 759.6 KB, Downloaded: 21 times, Dimensions: 1680x1050px
Size: 724.6 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 1680x1050px
Size: 112.5 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 580x435px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6766.2 In reply to 6766.1 
Hi Codi
Network of a pair of sine wave and two lines makes a crude roof tile.
Using Array Dir, (or Array Grid), serves to cover a roof triangle.
Then a trim is necessary, and deletion of all of the excess tiles.
The file becomes very large, say 8,000 kb. Is texture better?

I suppose you could write a script to do the above.

http://www.tuilegenerator.com/how-to-make-roof-cinema4d/index.php

I tiled my house several years ago, a humongously difficult job :-) , with tiles identical to yours. The moss likes it :-(

- Brian

EDITED: 15 Jun 2014 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6766.3 In reply to 6766.1 
Hi codi, there is no roof-tile specific method like you're asking about, but you can use a sequence of regular MoI commands to get the same type of result.

If you need something that is more fully automatic than using several commands in sequence, you would need to use a different program instead, like C4D with that plug-in, or also the LWCAD plugin for LightWave has some specialized things for that as well I think.

The sequence that you'd use in MoI is something like - start with making one tile on the ground, then use Transform > Orient to place it onto the roof surface:

Then use Transform > Array > Grid to replicate the tile - either draw the grid spacing rectangle onto the sloped surface so it uses its orientation or if you want to use numeric input without drawing onto the sloped surface you would need to set the cplane to that sloped surface by using View > CPlane:

Now to cut the tiles, use Construct > Boolean > Intersection with the planar outline curve as the first object set, note boolean intersection will also try to combine objects of the same intersection set together with a boolean union, that may be a quite complex operation for something with a lot of overlapping pieces like this so you may want to do one tile at a time in the boundary area. To do one tile at a time, leave the outline curve selected, run boolean intersection, select the tile, right-click to finish the command, then right-click to repeat boolean intersection, select the next time, right-click again to end, etc... that way you can process each individual tile with just a couple of right clicks after each tile selection. That will give you a result like this:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
thanks for the answers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options