Object names and OBJ export

Next
Hello there,

Just a quick question, is that possible to assign names to group of objects (to make it easy to hide/show stuff in the model) while still being able to export them as separated obj?

Also it would be cool to have the ability to say that one specific group is exported as a single mesh (maybe using a hashtag = #)

Here's an example,

Let's say I have an outpost, with many walls and objects.

Here's the hierarchy (objects names)

Wall 1
Wall 2
Collumn 1
Logo 1 #group
Logo 2 #group

That would allow more control over what's exported and how.

Logo 1 would have multiple styles but would be exported as one object
While Wall 1 could have multiple styles and would be exported as multiple objects
--
shapenoid.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6719.2 In reply to 6719.1 
Hi DesuDeus,

> Just a quick question, is that possible to assign names to group of objects (to make it easy
> to hide/show stuff in the model) while still being able to export them as separated obj?

Yes, this is possible currently by using the setting under Options > Import/Export > "Combine same named objects" checkbox (at the top).

When checked objects of the same name will be exported as one single object in the OBJ file.

When unchecked each object is exported as an individual separate object. But note though that some importers (Cinema4D is one example I believe) will automatically combine objects of the same name at import time. You would need to find out if you can adjust the import settings in your receiving program if you are running into that.

> Also it would be cool to have the ability to say that one specific group is exported as
> a single mesh (maybe using a hashtag = #)

Hmmm, I don't know - I worry about using special naming conventions to drive specific behavior - it's somewhat easy for it to get triggered accidentally.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Gotcha!

Two other quick questions, would it be feasible in the future to be able to export as .obj in clipboard? And paste in C4D? Or is that specific to every 3D software?

And is it possible to change my forum username to Shapenoid without the DesuDeus?
--
shapenoid.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6719.4 In reply to 6719.3 
Hi Shapenoid,

> would it be feasible in the future to be able to export as .obj in clipboard?
> And paste in C4D? Or is that specific to every 3D software?

As far as I know there isn't any standardized way to put .obj format data into the clipboard. Normally 3D programs store clipboard data in their own private data formats, unless they have gone through some trouble to publicly document the structure of the clipboard data.

But you can get a similar effect by just using a specific file, like set up a shortcut key in MoI that exports to a hard coded file name, which you can do by putting the file name in the "Command" part of the shortcut key like this:

Export /Users/michael/testfile.obj

Then when you trigger that file, it will use that specific filename and not prompt you for a file name.

Then inside C4D set up a shortcut that reads in that specific file, that will then work similar to copy/paste using that one file as the clipboard.

> And is it possible to change my forum username to Shapenoid without the DesuDeus?

I'll see about changing that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6719.5 In reply to 6719.3 
> And is it possible to change my forum username to Shapenoid without the DesuDeus?

DesuDeus is your log-in name - I can change that to also be Shapenoid in which case it will only show just one plain "Shapenoid" in your posts here, but you will also need to change what you put in the login prompt for signing in, so I will wait until I know you've read this so you know you'll need to change how you sign in.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
The script idea is neat!

I'll try that!

Yes you can change my username :)

Thanks a lot for everything, MoI3D has the best user support I've ever seen in my whole life (even if I'm young haha)
--
shapenoid.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All