Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.25 In reply to 670.24 
Thanks David! By the way, do you remember those boat hull sections you sent to me a few months ago that would not loft?

The new beta fixes this, those now loft fine. That's what the new stuff about the Profiles option is about.

For lofting through a larger number of curves, it is often nice to use Loft Style = "Loose" to get a more relaxed surface, the ones you sent work pretty well if you use the loose style. The regular style can cause sort of bumps when you use many sections.

Another thing that can help get smooth lofts through many sections is to use the new Profiles: #Points option, this will further simplify the resulting loft by using only the number of control points that you specify for rebuilding the profiles. This will only be a somewhat rough approximation of your input curves, but the result will be even more smooth yet.

So for instance using Loft Style = "Loose" as well as Profiles = #Points with 10 points, will generate a really smooth surface from the 13 cross-sections that you had for that boat hull.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.26 In reply to 670.20 
Hi Michael,

Sorry for not sending you some samples about those problems before. The last two days have been a bit crazy.

/*****
It's one of the few settings (along with display type and polygon type (ngons, triangles) that is remembered between different sessions. So probably in a previous session you had turned it off.
*****/

Oh, yeah... you're right. I did realize about that later... it's remembering my sessions settings :).

/*****
An example of that one would be great, that sounds like a bug. Just one more note - surfaces have to be joined for the weld setting to have an effect.

It could also possibly be a bug in join, if join does not manage to properly glue together 2 edges (even though others were combined), it would result in this kind of a thing too. I can tell that by examining the model though.
*****/

I'll send you an example about this. Now, to be honest, I'm not totally sure if I've used 'Join', and then with 'Weld' enabled exported the object, and
that object was giving me those problems. But I think I did... I'll check it out again, and I'll send you some samples.

Thanks!!

Jacobo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.27 In reply to 670.20 
HI Michael,

I just found one issue which bothers me a bit,
when you export to 3DS the uv's created are a mess, in OBJ it is fine,
I attached a picture for you,

Best regards,

Thor
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

I'm having a look at PDF import and it doesn't appear work at all. I have been trying out a lot of file but none of them seems to be loaded although they are processed fine in Rhino. Could you post any PDF file that works?

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael:

As soon as I saw the new features, I though to take the hull up. :-)
I´ll tell you about that...thx

to tyglik: Yesterday night I made a probe. The "normal" pdf (like a document) doesn´t work, obviously. :-). After that I tried with an AutoCAD drawing converted to a PDF and it worked.

I send you the file:

Bye!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What is exactly the format PDF who is not the normal "document" format?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Pilou:

I wanted to say with a "normal" document, the text document write in MSWord or any word processor.
The thing is that I have been trying to import pdf, and the most of my pdf are text documents and they weren´t work.
Now I have been using the WordArt and drawings tools of MSWords and they works, but it isn´t very interesting, actually :-)

Bye!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.32 In reply to 670.27 
Hi Thor, if you have welding turned on MoI does not write UVs to the .3ds file at all...

That's because .3ds does not have a proper way for 2 faces to share the same 3d point, but have different UV coordinates. .3ds has a limitation that it can only specify one single UV coordinate for each 3d point.

If you turn off welding, then UVs will be written because points are not combined into a single point along common edges.

OBJ doesn't have this limitation. In its structure, it has a way to have polygons share one single 3d point, but have different UV coordinates for each polygon.

.3ds is limited in other ways too, like it has a limitation of only having a maximum of 65535 points for a single mesh. If your program supports OBJ, I would recommend focusing on using that since it doesn't have these limitations. Only try to use .3ds if you don't have any other option.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.33 In reply to 670.31 
Hmmm... Actually, I have also tried MSWord's drawing tools, but it failed as well... It looks like the pdf driver could cause the trouble. I use Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Standard Edition. -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
670.34 In reply to 670.28 
Hi Petr, can you please send me a couple of the PDFs that don't work? (David posted one that does work)

I had tested this with .ai files saved from Illustrator CS that were set as "PDF compatible". I assumed that PDFs would also follow this same structure, maybe something is slightly different.

PDF is a pretty difficult format to support well, it's structure is pretty complex. It will probably take some tuning for it to work better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello:

This is a file created with MSWord and converted with ALLPDF (you can try to convert online here https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp)
Bye!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
670.36 In reply to 670.34 
Hi Petr, I tried some more PDFs over here and I fixed up some bugs. I think it should be working a lot better now.

I put up a patch here: http://moi3d.com/beta/pdf_ai_patch.zip . If you download that, it contains a new moi_lib.dll file, just copy it over top of the one from the last beta and PDF import should be working better for you. Please let me know when you get a chance to try it next week. Thanks!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-3  4-23  24-36