Large vector files - slow performance

Next
I regularly receive pdf drawings of machinery in vector format to create 3D models from. These machines are very large and the line count very high. MOI performance slows considerably when working with these files. I thought hiding the style/type (curve)/object that these lines belong to would restore performance but it doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect. Is this to be expected? If so is it possible to enable this functionality so that hiding objects removes them from the memory set or something - perhaps a frozen state or something? Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6685.2 In reply to 6685.1 
Hi dan, well yes just in general dealing with a very high number of objects will bog things down.

If you don't see very much difference with things hidden, that means that you've got so many individual objects that the time to just iterate through all objects is becoming significant even though the ones marked as hidden are not processed any further.

In the future I want to improve this by making a separate list of visible objects so ones that are hidden won't even be iterated through. I expect to work on that in the v4 time frame, it's a bit too delicate of an area to mess with this close to the end of the v3 release.

For now in this particular case of some tremendous number of individual little objects you'll probably need to separate things into totally different files if things are bogging down too much.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6685.3 In reply to 6685.2 
Hi Michael,

Sounds like you've got it in hand in V4. In the mean time I might try and come up with some sort of pre-filter operation to remove lines that are smaller than some defined dimension. There are a lot smaller lines (hidden detail dashed lines and other spurious lines) that I could do without. Is this something that could easily be implemented with an MOI script? I might do some research.

BTW: I've really been enjoying using MOI lately, it's a breath of fresh air after using my normal 3D CAD programs - SolidWorks and Solid Edge. Thanks for a great product.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6685.4 In reply to 6685.3 
Hi dan, I'm glad that you're liking MoI! :)

re:
> There are a lot smaller lines (hidden detail dashed lines and other spurious lines) that I could do
> without. Is this something that could easily be implemented with an MOI script?

Check out this script - it will select objects smaller than a particular bounding box size (measured by the diagonal of the bounding box):

http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SelectTiny

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6685.5 In reply to 6685.4 
Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the script link, it's exactly what I was looking for - now I don't even have to wait for v4!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I opened a similar thread for this issue a while ago, I'm also working with many objects in the scene and I am experiencing some lag also when I hide everything and draw. Fortunately making a copy\paste in a new file of just the objects I need to work on and then pasting back solves my issue for now, yet an optimization of the cycle of the objects would be even better, hopefully for v4 :)
thank you!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All