Problem with shell and other newbie questions
All  1-2  3-4

Previous
Next
6683.3 In reply to 6683.1 
Hi Glenn, re: shell problem

> My conclusion for now is that the left over line (arc) of the original shape is the cause of this problem.
> However i'm not able to remove this line before or after trim or inward shell.
> How do i solve this?

It looks like the sheller didn't do a good job processing the trimming boundary, that weird pinching look is the result of something being mangled in the structure of the trim boundary of the face, something like there is a big gap between trim pieces or something like that.

You can solve it by doing an "untrim" and retrim of the bad surface, there is some information on this in the object repair tutorial here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

I've attached a version of your model that has been repaired - the basic steps are:

First select the bad surface and run Edit > Separate on it, so that it is an individual surface and not joined to other surfaces.

Then select one edge on the surface, then use Ctrl+A to select all edges, then hit Delete to do an "untrim" which removes the current trim boundary and recovers the full underlying surface. There's more info on untrim in that object repair tutorial and also here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=444.4

At this point you'll see the entire inside offset surface, which seems to be ok itself - during some part of its boundary processing the sheller seems to have improperly omitted the small "seam curve" piece that goes to the pole.

Then you need to use Edit > Trim to trim the surface with the other edges of the surrounding pieces to get the proper final piece. It can then be joined to the other pieces.

See the attached 3DM file for the result of these repair steps.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
6683.4 In reply to 6683.3 
Hi Michael,

Sorry for my late reply.

Thank you for rebuilding the model.
I will try to do the same following the steps that you described to me.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-4