Unwrap
All  1  2-8

Previous
Next
6679.2 In reply to 6679.1 
Hi bz,

> Is there a way to unwrap a surface in MoI ?

Sorry no, MoI does not have any unwrapping functionality itself.

Unwrapping is a pretty complex topic, there are various different approaches and doing a real surface "unroll" is only possible with developable surfaces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developable_surface , which means the surface has to be constructed in a specific constrained manner.

What are you trying to do with the unwrapped results? If you can give some more information I may be able to point you towards other tools to use in combination with MoI which could help.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi bz,

For what it's worth...
As far as "approaches," one can be to use MoI's Flow feature, though I can't guarantee complete accuracy or success every time.

Basically, this can only be done with a single-surface object, but it can allow you to work with the trimming curve detail and apply new detail by reversing the process.
Sorry, but I can't really show a good tutorial for this, since I'm not sure it works all the time, especially on surfaces expressed with only three corners.

1) Make sure the desired surface is separated and standing by itself. This will make it easier to work with.
Copy the surface and paste it in place.
2) Do the "Untrimming" script:
code:
script: /* Untrim the selected surface */ var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; srfs = gd.getSelectedObjects().getSingleFaceBReps(); gd.deselectAll(); for ( var i = 0; i < srfs.length; ++i ) srfs.item(i).getEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true ); moi.command.execCommand( 'delete' );

This will give you the underlying whole surface.
3) Create a reference plane rectangle in another location.
4) Either select the trimmed surface of interest or select all of the surface trim curves, including the ones on the side.
5) Use the Flow command, selecting the untrimmed surface (duplicated in place) as your reference.
6) Select the plain surface to the side for the Flow target.
7) Your surface trim curves should now be transferred to the new plane.

Essentially the UV trim data should be "unwrapped."
You should be able to use the Flow process in reverse.

An no, I've had some strange results trying this at times, but it's worth a try.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's tricky use of the versatile Flow function! :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6679.5 In reply to 6679.2 
Thanks for the replies,
Actually I was thinking ahead a little. I was thinking of the large and variable fillet that goes between an airplane wing and its fuselage. I could model it rather easily but if I wanted to build the plane then I would need a template of the flattened fillet so that I could lay it in place. I could (and probably will) fill it with balsa pieces and then use some wood filler and then then sand to shape but it would be really cool to lay a pre cut piece in place and bend it back to shape.

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6679.6 In reply to 6679.5 
Hi bz, a fillet like you're describing is not a developable surface, which basically means it's not physically possible to form it out of a flat piece of stock and then only bend it into shape along a straight edge.

Any surface that has compound curvature in it rather than being straight in one direction cannot be formed from a flat piece without having lateral stretching taking place at the same time.

That's part of why the whole area of surface unrolling for physical construction is a fairly complex topic.

Your 3D surface has to have the shape of something similar to a cone or a piece of a cone in order for it to unroll to a flat pattern.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6679.7 In reply to 6679.5 
Rhino has some tools in it for working with developable surfaces, some info here:

http://www.rhino3.de/design/modeling/developable/

http://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/devsrf

http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/unrollsrf.htm

Here you'll see how a complex curved surface made from bent planks does not really happen with a single bent piece, rather it's a set of strips with each individual strip being a developable surface:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/designing-developable-surfaces-rhino-45275.html#post592264

Just any curved surface is not likely to be developable, especially a fillet going around a curved shape is not going to have a straight line shape to it in any single direction, in order to unroll a surface it has to have that straight line on it which is where it would be bent at in order to roll it up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6679.8 In reply to 6679.7 
Thanks Michael, your explanation makes perfect sense ...

bz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-8