Set - Control Points (Show points) number

Next
Is it possible by any chance to set the amount of the Control Points (Show points) on a surface.
I attached an example. In my opinion, the shown points are too much, and this is very difficult, and require a lot of time to manipulate the surface. I'd like to have the option to set the number of points. (20 points for example) Is that possible ?
Thank you.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6677.2 In reply to 6677.1 
Hi Paul,

> Is it possible by any chance to set the amount of the Control Points (Show points) on a surface.

Sorry no there currently isn't any way in MoI to do that - there is a way to do it for curve objects using the Rebuild command but currently the Rebuild command only works on curves and not on surfaces. I do want to make it work on surfaces in the future though.

Just in general surface control point editing is not really a big focus area for MoI - MoI is overall more focused on drawing and editing your curves first and then generating your surfaces from those curves and not very much on tweaking the surface points directly. Sometimes if you're trying to edit surface points directly it may be a sign that your object is really better suited to be constructed in a polygon editing program where that kind of point cage tweaking is the main way to construct things.

With NURBS modeling there is much more of a focus on drawing 2D curves and generating your object more by a type of construction workflow, using some curves to generate objects and other curves to cut them up, just in general surface point tweaking is not really the main way to build things in MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6677.3 In reply to 6677.2 
Thank you Michael.
:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6677.4 In reply to 6677.3 
Depending on what surface creation command you're using you can also control at least one direction of the generated surface by rebuilding the curves though.

It looks like in your case there you're probably using Sweep. There is also a "Profiles" option in Sweep that controls what method is used to synchronize multiple profiles together into a single structure to be used in the surface. One of the options is a "# of points" method where you can put in the number of points to be used for resampling them. If you use that method you'll be able to control the number of points in at least one direction of the surface, but the sweeper will put in as many points as needed in the other direction in order for the sweep to conform to the path curve.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6677.5 In reply to 6677.4 
Excellent idea ! Thank you very much Michael.

:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6677.6 In reply to 6677.2 
Michael:
> I do want to make it work on surfaces in the future though.

This feature could be the second milestone in MOI's development (FLOW was first) ! ;)

M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
+1 for this feature request.

Being able to simplify the # of points on a surface and tweak it by pulling a few verts would be really useful for those objects you often have to create which are a little more organic in shape.

I do agree that if most of the model is organic in shape then its best to do that work with a poly modeller.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

If you happen to have Rhino the VSR (now Autodesk) Shape Modeling Plug-In for Rhino allows you to do some really slick control point modeling. It was on special for three bills and change but I think it's around $1300 at this point. The worst part about the application is when Autodesk bought it they integrated their awful licensing mechanism into the product. If you can live with that (and the cost) it's really a great set of tools to use along with MoI

http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualShapeResearch/videos
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All