small feature request for v3 final

Next
Hi Michael, could you please add a feature that newly created objects get the name of the currently selected group? Like with layers. It would change my life. Thank you.
Max
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.2 In reply to 6673.1 
Hi Max, well there's several complications with that.... There is no restriction that only one named object has to be selected and so what would I do if there were objects of several different names selected when you created a new object? Also I think this would probably be surprising to people if just their object selection had an effect on the properties of newly created objects, I can't remember any other program that has object properties behaving in that way, do you know of any examples?

In order to do something like that I think there would need to be some kind of special marker that you'd set in the UI (as there is with styles), not just do it based off object selection.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.3 In reply to 6673.2 
Maybe I didn't write it down correctly, but what I wanted is exactly just a marker, as with styles. Not based on object selection.
thank you,
m.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.4 In reply to 6673.3 
Hi Max,

> but what I wanted is exactly just a marker, as with styles.

Ok, but the way it works on styles is that the marker is an indicator around the color swatch part of the style item.

A name item does not have a color swatch, so I'm not sure how to make it work exactly like it does with styles.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.5 In reply to 6673.4 
I thought he was asking for an 'inheritance' type of thing, where you have a solid which is going to be added to by booleans and such, after such operations you can get 'varies' for name and styles, so if i am understanding this properly i think he wants those new parts to inherit the object name from the main solid he is working with.

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.6 In reply to 6673.5 
Hi Martin,

> so if i am understanding this properly i think he wants those new parts to inherit the
> object name from the main solid he is working with.

The main solid's name does get inherited with booleans currently - in situations where there are multiple objects being combined like in boolean union then the name of the first selected one is the one that will be used for the combined result. So when doing a union select the main one first.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.7 In reply to 6673.5 
Hi,
no, I'm not asking for inheritance, but simply a button to highlight a group name in the browser panel, so that newly created objects get that name automatically.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.8 In reply to 6673.6 
Thanks Michael

> So when doing a union select the main one first.

That's what i thought

Martin spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.9 In reply to 6673.7 
Hi wastzzz -

> no, I'm not asking for inheritance, but simply a button to highlight a group name in the browser panel, so that newly created objects get that name automatically.

Ah ha, now i understand you. You want an active Object just as you have an active Style. I think this type of functionality will be coming with groups/assemblies/instances/hierarchy which we all know are in the pipeline for MoI. But as Michael says, it will be no mean undertaking for him and will take a lot of time and effort.

All the best

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.10 In reply to 6673.7 
> no, I'm not asking for inheritance, but simply a button to highlight a group name in
> the browser panel, so that newly created objects get that name automatically.

It kind of feels like a somewhat odd button, currently for styles the swatch button serves another purpose of showing the color for the style. The button you're asking for would not serve any other purpose and could easily be confusing for people who would wonder what it was for... If you had any other idea for implementing it that would not have that kind of problem it would be easier to get it done sooner.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.11 In reply to 6673.10 
Honestly I don't see many other options, having a checkmark as with styles sounds very simple to me. Maybe this feature could be activated with a .ini option, so that by default it's off. But look, this would change my life, because I spend a lot of time assigning manually the name to new objects, it's quite stressing even with the script. I often forget some objects.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.12 In reply to 6673.11 
Hi Max,

> Honestly I don't see many other options, having a checkmark as with styles sounds very
> simple to me. Maybe this feature could be activated with a .ini option, so that by default it's off.

Unfortunately it's not very practical for me to implement pieces with significant UI to them which are off by default, it becomes too likely later on down the road that there will be bugs in those areas when other things are changed, it becomes difficult for me to remember to test such things.

I'm not entirely against things that are activated with an .ini option but in general such things work better as a modification of existing behavior instead of being a major new feature themselves (like something that introduces its own UI is).

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.13 In reply to 6673.12 
You could implement that when you set a filter to a group name (by holding CTRL), new objects created automatically get the same name.
What about it? It sounds good to me for now. Please? :))
Regards,
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6673.14 In reply to 6673.13 
Hi Max,

> You could implement that when you set a filter to a group name (by holding CTRL),
> new objects created automatically get the same name.

Sounds kind of weird, I don't see how anybody would really expect for a selection filter to also change the name on newly drawn objects.

It's problematic to implement something that adds unexpected behavior like that.

In the V4 time frame when I'm working on more group functionality I'll see then if I can figure out any better method for doing what you want.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What about no special UI, currently clicking on the name makes nothing. Maybe you can click the name and it gets highlighted and thats it. I know you plan to add special functions when you click on an object's name but in the meantime, this simple click and highlight can be an optional behavior that you can toggle on the .ini, having it turned off by default. It can be the left or the right click.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6673.16 In reply to 6673.15 
Hi ed,

> I know you plan to add special functions when you click on an object's name but in the meantime, this
> simple click and highlight can be an optional behavior that you can toggle on the .ini

This kind of thing tends to be problematic - what ends up happening is someone gets used to the "temporary" behavior and then it causes a problem when the final changes are implemented that changes the behavior.

I tend to try to avoid that type of thing, I'd rather wait to implement something until I can do it in what I hope is more of its finished form.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All