A question/request about the great moi3d

Next
I've been modelling with moi3d for almost the first relase...
I just love it.As of now i need just one more thing...
When i work in moi I have to export and reopen in rhino to check tangency and stuff like that, i know that it's impossible for moi to have the same tools, but it would be nice to be able to have a "shaded wiew"(without wireframe) to check tangency between two surface.
I hope that everyone understand my question/request

Little snapshot of a MOI3d W.I.P
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A WIP??? This looks better than my finals!

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.3 In reply to 665.1 
Hi Giulio, fantastic model there!

I want to add more display options, such as turning off edges like you want, but currently I have planned on adding these options in for version 2.0.

But there is something you can do with the current version - it is possible to hide edges which should give you the display you want. The edges will come back after you do any edit to the model, but it should be pretty good if you want to stop editing and do a visual inspection.

To do this, select one edge of your model, then do Ctrl+A or Select / Select All - this will then select all edges and you can use Edit / Hide to hide just those edges.

I'll also see if I can set up something to make it possible to do a script macro on a keyboard shortcut to automate the above procedure.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, why do you always refer to MoI 2.0 ? Won't be any 1.x releases?

Some bug fixing and patches will be very nice to have with small releases and you can add 1-2 commands or improvements there...

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.5 In reply to 665.4 
Well, I guess I'm really just talking about "after the initial 1.0"...

> Won't be any 1.x releases?

I don't really have any exact plan for that yet... Certain I'd expect to have additional 1.x releases for bug fixes.

It tends to be a bit difficult to work on multiple version streams simultaneously, so in some ways it is easier for me to switch over to a 2.0 beta development stream pretty soon after 1.0 is out.

But it might work out ok to work for a couple of months on some more tune-ups before doing the switch over. It's nothing definite at this point. But I've already sort of been doing this in a certain sense - I probably should have released a 1.0 version several months ago and then having the stuff I've been working on recently be the 1.x tune-ups...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.6 In reply to 665.3 
Hi Giulio, I've added something to the next beta that makes it possible to script this from a keyboard shortcut.

You'll need to add this shortcut (this only works in the next beta coming out later today):

script:var breps = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getBReps(); var hide = true; for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) { var edges = breps.item(i).getEdges(); if ( i == 0 ) hide = !edges.item(0).hidden; edges.setProperty( 'hidden', hide ); }

So for instance if you set up a shortcut for "S" with that script above (it all goes on one single line), you can then push S to turn on or off edge display. I think that should do what you want.

Also the next beta has a new Options dialog that lets you edit the keyboard shortcuts from within MoI instead of editing the moi.ini text file in notepad.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.7 In reply to 665.6 
< edit the keyboard shortcuts
alas coding is another story :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.8 In reply to 665.7 
> alas coding is another story :)

:) Yes, that is the hard part. But I can help if you need something not too complex.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.9 In reply to 665.8 
Thx but seems there is yet some crazy functions inside so maybe in another life :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.10 In reply to 665.5 
>> I probably should have released a 1.0 version several months ago and then having the stuff I've been working on recently be the 1.x tune-ups...

I don't think so...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.11 In reply to 665.6 
Temporary WireFrame display mode -- to turn on or off face display.

Alt+W=script:var breps = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getBReps(); var hide = true; for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) { var faces = breps.item(i).getFaces(); if ( i == 0 ) hide = !faces.item(0).hidden; faces.setProperty( 'hidden', hide ); }
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Lovely lovely lovey
moi3d quality improved 10X
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.13 In reply to 665.11 
Thank you for this script Michael and Tyglik and for all your great scripts!

You truly have done wonders with MOI Scripting and given us some great new abilities with them!

I noticed at the end of this particular script there is no final semicolon, but there is in most if not all of the other scripts I have seen for MOI. Since most scripts have it I added it to your script here before installing it in MOI's Options Dialog and it works great! I wonder now though, Is the final semicolon required or just optional?

Thanks again,

- 3dvisuals dude

EDITED: 21 Jun 2007 by ODWYERVISUALS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.14 In reply to 665.13 
In that case it doesn't need a final semi-colon because the last part of the script is a "for" loop. A for loop normally looks like this when you have it spaced out more naturally:

for ( var i = 0; i < 10; ++i )
{
do_something();
do_something_else();
}

It doesn't normally need an extra semi-colon after the final closing } brace of the for loop. But it won't do any harm if you put one in, it is just the equivalent of an empty statement after the for loop.

Some other constructs do expect semi-colons, like at the end of function calls or variable assignments (like you can see _inside_ the for loop above). Actually some of those are also optional in the JavaScript language in certain circumstances, but it is best to put those ones in.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
665.15 In reply to 665.14 
Thanks Michael,

just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side!

I appreciate the thorough response too... I'm playing a tad with javascript in trueSpace now and some day when I grasp it all I'm sure the routines will be interchangeable to a large extent with slight modifications of course.

I really love the way you added easy script insertion capabilities into this last Beta by the way, thanks for that too!

- 3dvisuals dude
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
665.16 In reply to 665.15 
> I really love the way you added easy script insertion capabilities
> into this last Beta by the way, thanks for that too!

You're welcome! I was getting tired of explaining about how to edit the moi.ini file manually... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All