Hole Repair Help

Next
Hi,
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my model to be solid. I set up a shortcut to show the edges that aren't joining with the rest of the model, but I'm still a bit lost as to how to go about repairing things.

Nothing looks obviously out of place to me.

Does anyone have any good advice? The model is attached.

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

You can use the select naked edges script found here to highlight the edges that are preventing a watertight solid:

http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/

SelectNakedEdgesV2

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

It looks like that long radius naked edge will resolve without resurfacing once you take care of the two smaller naked edge areas, there is an edge mismatch where the surface meets the fillet.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6644.4 In reply to 6644.1 
Hi Chris, there seems to be 3 different problem areas. In the first area that I investigated, the problem seems to be that there are 2 surfaces stacked up right over top of the same surface area, that will prevent being able to get a proper closed solid:

Notice above when I selected the thin face in that area, that the display actually shows a kind of mix of selected and unselected colors bleeding through each other? That's an area where there are 2 surfaces overlapping right over top of each other with some of their outer edges joined, but then other edges unjoined. To get a solid you can't have stacked surfaces like this, so in this area the fix will be to delete those stacked surfaces and construct new replacement. It also looks like some of the surrounding surfaces may need to be untrimmed and retrimmed again as well because something is wrong with their boundary (note the sort of triangular hole there, that's a display mesh failure probably because the boundary is self intersecting or otherwise mangled in some way).

I'll see if I can tune up these areas for you, but if you want more information on the techniques for untrimming and retrimming there is an object repair tutorial here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6644.5 In reply to 6644.1 
In this area here the problem seems to be that the surfaces just don't align very well with each other, they stick past each other:

Probably in that area I'd just delete the 2 surfaces, and construct new ones doing Sweep using the surrounding edges as the rail curves for the sweep.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6644.6 In reply to 6644.1 
Hi Chris, I've attached here a 3DM file with a fixed up version that's a solid.

To fix it up, in that one area with duplicated stacked surfaces I deleted the stacked up faces there, and also did an untrim of the surface to the right there that had a triangular hole in it, something is wrong with the current boundary there. To do the untrim I used Edit > Separate on the face to break it out into its own individual surface, then selected all edges (select one edge and use Ctrl+A to get them all easily), and then hit delete to remove the current boundary and have the underlying surface's own natural boundary restored there.

Sometimes when you untrim something, the underlying surface can be a fair bit bigger than the original boundary so you may need to retrim it, but in this case it matched up fine so no retrimming was needed. Then I rejoined that untrimmed piece to the others, and the remaining boundary was close enough to planar that selecting the 4 edges and running Construct > Planar built a surface there which I joined in and that finished up that particular area. Some of the pieces in this particular area of the model are not really aligning very exactly with one another but they are close enough that it should be ok for them to be joined. But it helps in general to have surfaces coming together more accurately.

Then in the other area where the was some overlap I deleted the 2 surfaces that were overlapping a little, did another separate and untrim on the surrounding surfaces so that I could see the base surface structure, then I drew in a vertical line in the middle area, and did a sweep selecting the fillet arcs as the profiles, and an edge on the left and the vertical line on the right as the 2 rails. Then the remaining area was close enough to planar to be filled in with Construct > Planar.

For the 3rd area with naked edges it was enough to just do a separate and rejoin of that particular spot.

With those repairs in place the model is now all connected and makes a solid.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks! I was able to fix it without a hitch.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6644.8 In reply to 6644.6 
Wow. Thanks for taking the time to repair the file Michael.

I think I'd gotten it fixed up earlier just by rebuilding a few faces.

You're file looks a lot better than mine did.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All