Filleting round shapes

Next
Hi there,

I am working on my object and as finishing touch, I wanted to add the name on its surface. Doing the basic work using the text, doing a boolean and generate the rest of the needed geometry was easy enough. But now I wanted to add some nice fillets to the letters of the name, and ended up with some letters working and some not. In particular, all letters with straight lines work out nice, those with roundish forms like the G and the C in my picture do not. The B I did not try yet.
Any Idea what is going on here?
Best regards
Heiner

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.2 In reply to 6612.1 
Hi Heiner,

> Any Idea what is going on here?

It's pretty difficult to say without examining the geometry directly - is it possible for you to post a 3DM file with your objects in it instead of only a screenshot? That makes it possible to examine it in various different ways which are not really possible to do with a screenshot alone.

My best guess without being able to actually examine things would be that often times the curve structure in font files is not very good in geometric quality, probably some of the curved forms are made up of several different segments which are not totally smooth to one another rather than being one big long smooth curve piece. That type of structure where things come together at just a bit of a sharp angle instead of being either totally smooth or more distinctly sharp can make things difficult for filleting, because it causes the fillet engine to try and build corner junctures between those pieces but the junctures are kind of tiny slivery things that are hard to trim and deal with...

My best advice would be to try running the Rebuild command (set up a shortcut key with Rebuild as the command name for it) on the text curves before using them for further construction, that may help to get things configured with longer smooth curve sections instead of possibly fragmented separate segments.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.3 In reply to 6612.2 
Hi Michael,
i am working with MOI 2 still, is the rebuild command there already available?
I also attached a file with the problem part of the model.
Regards
Heiner
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.4 In reply to 6612.3 
Hi Heiner, thanks for attaching the model, it's really late over here so I'll try to check it out tomorrow.

> i am working with MOI 2 still, is the rebuild command there already available?

It is available in v2 as well, but I'd really very strongly recommend working in the current v3 beta instead of v2, there have been a whole lot of bug fixes implemented in v3 including many for filleting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.5 In reply to 6612.3 
Hi Heiner, so after a quick look I noticed some of the edges in your C and G looked a little peculiar, and the reason why is that there are many "naked edges" in it, meaning that many places where it looks like the side walls and the top cap are touching each other, they aren't actually joined at a lot of those spots. They're only joined in some areas like at the short leg of the C and not along the whole long curved edges of the C. Similarly with the G there are some unjoined edges.

Was your object possibly initially constructed at some very small size or something? I'm not really sure how you ended up with those unjoined edges, but that seems to be the problem that is getting in the way of your filleting.

It seems that the side wall pieces and the top cap pieces are not quite accurate enough to one another to properly join at the default join allowance. One quick fix is to scale the objects down by 1/10 in size, then separate and join them, then scale back up again. That's what I did with the attached version which should now fillet better for you.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.6 In reply to 6612.4 
OK Michael,
its not that urgent, no problem, have a rest, I am sure you deserve it ;-)
I work with V2 still because i dont like the Updating, deliting, updating etc.
But I will give the latest beta a try and let you know if it solved the problem!
Regards
Heiner
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.7 In reply to 6612.6 
Hi Heiner, just want to make sure you didn't miss my 2nd message above where I describe what the problem was with those letters.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.8 In reply to 6612.7 
Hi Michael,
I got that answer. If is what you suspect, it was coming out of MOI. What I did is: Made the text and using boleean i ceated the surface of the outside of the text, and by copy and undo went back and created the inside of the letters. Then moved the inside of the letters out (displaced it from the surrounding surface), joined the edges of all letters (inside and outside shapes) and used loft to connect the lower and the upper shape. With that I started my filleting effords. Like I said, I did all that in V.2
Cheers
Heiner
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.9 In reply to 6612.8 
Hi Heiner, did the tuned up version attached above work better for you then?

> and used loft to connect the lower and the upper shape.

I tried repeating this step, and it appears that the loft in its default mode is not making a quite accurate enough fitted result to get it joined properly.

But it does appear to give a good enough result if you set the option in Loft for "Profiles : Exact".

So probably if you delete the side wall parts for the problem letters and build new ones with that "Profiles: Exact" option turned on, it will probably fix it up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6612.10 In reply to 6612.9 
Hi Michael,
i will give the new version a try, and I will also try that tip with the exact lofting.
I may use some time to do that, because the project now entered a new stage
(preproduction), and I am certain that I will face new tasks very soon.
Best regards
Heiner
(and thanks again for your awesome support!)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6612.11 In reply to 6612.1 
Hi Heiner, I was able to track down why there were unjoined edges in your object there when using the default Loft settings - it was due to Loft not using a tight enough fitting tolerance in some cases.

I've got it fixed up for the next v3 beta so that it will be fixed.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All