History ?
All  1  2-3

Previous
Next
657.2 In reply to 657.1 
Hi Naxos - that is for turning on or off history updating on an object.

History is always recorded for an object, but some commands have history enabled for their results and some have it disabled by default for their results.

You can use Edit/History to override the default and either turn history updates on or turn them off.

For example, let's say that you have done a loft through some curves. Loft is a command that enables history updates by default, so if you edit one of the curves that went into the loft, the loft will update. If you don't want that to happen (like if you want to move the curve and do something else with it instead and leave that loft alone), you can select the lofted surface and use Edit/History to disable history updates on it. After you have disabled updates for the loft, it will not change when you move the input curves.

There are also some situations where you might want to turn history updating on. For example after you do a mirror sometimes you may want the mirrored object to update when you edit the original. All of the Transform commands have history updates turned off by default, because it can lead to confusion if you make a copy of something like a line to be used as part of a larger construction, if the line updates when you edit the original. But you can override the default and enable history updates for mirror by selecting the result mirrored object and using Edit/History/Enable update. Similarly you can enable updates for Transform/Copy, rotate with copy, ...

Eventually this command will go away and history update will just be a property of an object that you can set like its color. But that won't be possible until the 2.0 version of MoI.

For version 1.0 the history is mostly focused on being able to tweak surfacing commands like loft, sweep, or extrude by changing their input curves. In future versions I expect to be expanding what history can do.

Let me know if you need any more details!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
657.3 In reply to 657.2 
This makes me think that it would sorta be nice if the command buttons for these functions had a right-click or sub-menu (similar to the snap button options) where you could check on/off whether that command enables history by default or not...

I know some here have voiced their opinions concerning the history functionality in the past - something like this might answer their requests.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-3