Geometry problems
 1-5  6-25  26-45  46-59

Previous
Next
656.46 In reply to 656.45 
Thanks Michael, I'm glad you decided to bump the priority of this for us Lightwavers - obviously you realize that this means us "old folk" ("old" meaning the tech used within LW) will be able to use MOI almost as much as C4D and other users.

I went to the C4D site to see what a full package costs - I nearly dropped my mouse like a hott potato when I saw $2200+...
(Not that I was really surprised or that it's not fair but I did sorta have a price in mind I was willing to uh, "swallow"...)

I just spent $1100 earlier this year upgrading my XSI to Ess - I think I will however download and eval C4D just to see what all the talk is about...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.47 In reply to 656.45 
Hi Michael Gibson!!

I am the friend of Jacobo, I am testing a lot of CAD Files in MOI and is VERY GOOD!!!
I work also with Lightwave and I am so glad if you can make the LWO Exporter. Actually in my tests I export the files in Quad and Tri...
cause with n-gons it make a lot of mistakes lightawave in the moment that import the obj file.

I found some new Visualization Bugs that if I have time I report to you or to Jacobo.
I sent to Jacobo some Plastic - Cad Files for your testing :)

Thank you very much for this work.
I am a user of Rhino too and this new program seems to be REAL GOOD FOR ME :)

As I have time I make more tests and report to you and Jacobo..

Best Regards
Josu
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.48 In reply to 656.47 
Hi Michael!

About Visualization Bugs.
In some Pipes.... Moi make Strange Visualization. But when I go to export them, it looks good!!

You can see it in this two Images. Before Export and After.

This is another object from Solid Edge --- > Exported to IGES --- > And I use it for Export to OBJ --> Import Lightwave.

I am working a lot these days with MOI and I suppouse that I will found more thins ;) jeje. But this program is the best that I test for
import and Export. ( my old favorite was Rhino )

Best Regards!
Josu

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.49 In reply to 656.43 
Michael, this is great, GREAT news!

Not that I want to push you, but when do you think this will released?

Oh and the issue with poly smoothing happens in LW when you create models too, so it's not an import thing (but you knew this!)

Once again, thanks for showing us LightWavers some coding love! It is very MUCH appreciated!

:D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.50 In reply to 656.48 
Hi Josu, thank you very much for sending the problem file! That will help me a lot when I try and debug the problem.

I will work on it just after this next beta is finished - I want to try and wrap up this current one so you guys can use the new LWO export. I think that should help enable you to get n-gons over more often instead of only quads and triangles.

> In some Pipes.... Moi make Strange Visualization. But when
> I go to export them, it looks good!!

MoI generally does a more careful job in the export (which is also much slower to calculate though), so sometimes you will find stuff like this where the display mesh has problems but the export mesh is ok. The display mesh sort of takes shortcuts in some areas to make it fast. I would still like to fix these problems, but I've put less priority on them than export mesh bugs.

Can you possibly send one of those problem tubes to me at moi@moi3d.com? Just one tube shape would be enough - I will keep your file private and not send it to anyone else. It always helps very much to have an example file so I can reproduce the problem over here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.51 In reply to 656.49 
Hi Matt,

> Not that I want to push you, but when do you think this will released?

I'm hoping for tomorrow, if everything goes ok today....

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.52 In reply to 656.45 
Hi Michael,

> When there are smooth pieces next to longer flat pieces, that's when you'll tend to get more shading problems. The way
> LightWave/Modo's shading currently works, a small somewhat angled polygon can have a pretty big effect on the shading
> of a longer flatter polygon next to it.

As somebody said (Matt I think), we still have that kind of problem when we create objects directly in LW/modo, so it's something
we can live with :)).

> Only for planar surfaces you mean? Yup, I've finished this, the setting next to "Divide larger than" is now a drop-down instead
> of a checkbox, the choices are "Curved" (means apply the divide only to curved surfaces, not to planes), "Planes" (apply only to planes),
> or "All" (apply to everything).

Yeah, that's what I meant :O)), and it's great you added that option! Thanks!

Well... I think you are going to make really happy (you already did) to a lot of people with this. I still don't remember where I've found
the first reference to Moi, but I know I was looking for some good way to export NURBS to meshes. Seriously... I think you did
something great here.
The way I see Moi, as a 3D rendering package user, is like a new great and very usable NURBS system almost 'into' my 3D application.

Thanks!

Jacobo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.53 In reply to 656.52 
> Only for planar surfaces you mean? Yup, I've finished this, the setting next to "Divide larger than" is now a drop-down instead
> of a checkbox, the choices are "Curved" (means apply the divide only to curved surfaces, not to planes), "Planes" (apply only to planes),
> or "All" (apply to everything).

Fantastic!!! That is exactly what we need! Can't wait to test drive this new build!

Thanks Michael!

:D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.54 In reply to 656.1 
Hi Jacobo - I have found the bug that caused the problem in your original message of this thread (Cubos10.igs) - this is now fixed for the next beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.55 In reply to 656.30 
Hi Jacobo, I have looked at the second bug you sent, the one where it looks strange after the fillet.

This one is a bug in the geometry library that I'm using, it will be too difficult for me to fix right now. For this one I will have to wait until I get an updated geometry library which I don't expect to do until after the initial 1.0 version.

Actually, if you save to a .3dm file and then re-load that .3dm file, you will then be able to perform the fillet without that problem. This is because when you do the initial IGES import, there is a special flag on the cylinder object that makes the geometry library do some special processing which is supposed to be faster and more accurate for cylinders. But this special processing is the thing that has the bug in it. After you save to .3dm and reload, those pieces no longer have that special cylinder flag on them, so they are processed just as general NURBS surfaces, which in this particular case actually works better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.56 In reply to 656.55 
Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for fixing those problems! I understand about the second bug, and
it's good to know there's an easy solution (save and reload the 3dm) to fix that until
you update the geometry library. I've tried it and it worked OK.

Sorry for not responding before... the las couple of days have been a bit crazy.

Thanks again!

Jacobo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.57 In reply to 656.11 
Hi Jacobo & Josu - I've spent some time looking at this bug that you sent, that you showed here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=656.11

It appears to be a bug in Join. This model has some really tiny edges in it. Like there is a large surface, and some of the edges of the large surface are little lines around 0.005 units in length.

This is causing problems in the joining procedure, those little lines are getting flipped around and compressed and that produces some problems in the trimming boundaries of the joined object. Then these problems in the trimming boundaries (they are almost like small loops), are messing up the mesh export.

Unfortunately it is going to be difficult to fix this right now. It's kind of a delicate area, if I try to mess around with it, it is likely that I will mess up other things. So it might be a while before this particular one gets better.

One thing you can do is if you have any control over how these models are being exported to you, ask if you can receive the IGES data as IGES type 186 ("Manifold solid") entities instead of individual surfaces. That will maintain the joined-edge information in the IGES file, so when you read it into MoI it will come in as a joined solid already and that should work better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
656.58 In reply to 656.56 
Hi Jacobo,

> Sorry for not responding before... the las couple of days have been a bit crazy.

Don't worry, there isn't any rush. I've got plenty of other work to do in the meantime! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
656.59 In reply to 656.57 
Better later than never (my response, I mean :))

Thanks for the tip about the type of IGES. I was doing a couple of tests with another
problematic object, and it worked. So it seems to be a nice solution in those cases
you can have access to the original CAD model, or you just can ask for that when
somebody else is exporting that for you.

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-5  6-25  26-45  46-59