Blender und Moi

Next
Afternoon all :)

I can see the potential of MOI in helping me to create vehicle interiors, so I was thinking of maybe using MOI to create a vehicle's interior and Blender to create the exterior. The idea is to finish the exterior in Blender, screenshot the orthogonal views and use them as blueprints for creating the interior using MOI's NURBS. I'm thinking this because at times trying to create switches, buttons, gear levers etc in Blender is both time consuming and a pain, however what from I've seen so far the power of NURBS will make this task a whole lot easier and less time consuming.

Your thoughts please? :) By the way the car I'm starting is the new Jaguar F-Type.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.2 In reply to 6552.1 
Hi GrandeP, it seems like a good plan to me!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.3 In reply to 6552.1 
Certainly sounds like a good idea to mix n match, I personally find everything to do with vehicle modelling to be extremely difficult. I have only ever finished a handful of vehicles and I have never even completed a single interior so I for one would love to see regular posts on this project ... Good luck

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Doesn't Blender have issue with Moi files because it doesn't read normals?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.5 In reply to 6552.4 
It does but from what I can remember I think someone built a tool to work with an older version of Blender that imports the data in with the correct normals.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.6 In reply to 6552.4 
You may want to look at the 2.7 RC builds.

Blender 2.70 Cycles + OSL
http://graphicall.org/110
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.7 In reply to 6552.6 
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back! Took some viewport screenshots of the model so that I can match the MoI stuff to Blender, I don't think it'll be 100% perfect but near enough will do I guess for my first finished car.

Now to learn MoI and fillets more before I start...
Image Attachments:
Size: 243.6 KB, Downloaded: 77 times, Dimensions: 960x540px
Size: 171 KB, Downloaded: 60 times, Dimensions: 960x540px
Size: 140.8 KB, Downloaded: 34 times, Dimensions: 960x540px
Size: 102.4 KB, Downloaded: 44 times, Dimensions: 540x540px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6552.8 In reply to 6552.7 
Nice poly work, but i think the head rests would be better with MoI. The light clusters will probably be better done in MoI too, but the lens covers on the lights would be easier with Poly modelling so you can keep continuity better with reflections etc. I can't remember which way the scaling went with Blender/Moi i think it was something like 1 MoI unit = 100 Blender Units. I am still interested to see if this can be achieved .... Keep it coming

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6552.9 In reply to 6552.7 
Nice mesh and excellent choice of car! Those Jags are just beautiful.

Just had an idea looking at that mesh. You could 'fill-in' the perimeter of the interior to get a solid object, and then use Fusion 360 (free with an enthusiast license) to convert the mesh to T-Splines and then NURBS solids, then import those back into MOI. I've done that a few times from Blender and it's a fairly simple workflow. With a mesh resolution like your Jag has, it may produce too complex a solid.

Anyway, the object of the exercise would be to enable you to start the interior in MOI from actual NURBS intersections. That being said, with that workflow you're better off just getting the basic shape defined in Blender, converting to T-Splines, and using MOI to cutout areas like the taillights, but could be worth some research.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All