MOI3D to Modo preserving styles / materials

Next
I'm using MOI3D for hard surface design / layout and modo for animation and rendering, and wanted to share my workflow since I couldn't find out this info from a search. I find I need to import to modo and then see something needs adjustment, so I'm back into MOI then need to re-export, but I want to keep all the materials I've made in modo automatically assigned to the new objects, this is how I do it:

1) Export from MOI3D using the Lightwave format eg: moiscene.lwo
2) Import (not by reference as I found this to be a bit buggy) into MODO
3) Rename the root folder that contains the MOI scene from "moiscene" to something else eg: "moiscene auto" so you can easily distinguish it later on.
4) In the Shader tree of Modo keep all the materials nested under the same group that should have been renamed as well to the same thing "moiscene auto", and do all your texturing / material stuff
5) When you want to make changes to the geometry switch back to MOI3D, make the changes, and then export the moiscene.lwo again
6) Import this into Modo (not by reference), now for the trick:
7) Open the folder "moiscene auto" and select all the objects from within it and delete them, but make sure not to delete the folder!
8) Open the folder "moiscene" and select all the objects from within it and drag them to the "moiscene auto" folder
9) All the material assignments will automatically be assigned to the correct styles :)

There may be an an easier way to do this, so if anyone has a better workflow please post it here.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6551.2 In reply to 6551.1 
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the tip. I’m slowing building tools to help manage MOI to modo and LW workflow. Automating material assignment is on my list.

Here’s where I’m at so far. I’m pulling in CAD assemblies with hundreds of parts. Somewhere in the translation, the file hierarchy (groups) is lost. I have a python script to restore this. It parses the layer names and assigns them to appropriate groups.

The next step is to expand it to cross-reference a parts list and apply the appropriate material. It should be an extension of the same process. Cataloging the materials in the current scene is a good idea. It should do what you want and more. We could have multiple materials (or versions) of textures that could be applied quickly.

Andy

EDITED: 8 Mar 2014 by ANDYPETE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6551.3 In reply to 6551.2 
I have got problem with same hierarchy lost (CAD assemblies). Could you give me some help with that? Are you use python script in MoI or in Modo? May you share or sell that script?

EDITED: 13 Mar 2014 by MDESIGN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6551.4 In reply to 6551.3 
Sure. Are you working in modo? If so, here’s what I did (with some help from another modo user).

I’ve attached the python script. It’s run in modo. The assemblies I’m working with are STEP files from my client. I’m not sure where the hierarchy is lost. Technically, only the folders or grouping are lost. When I opened them in modo, I noticed a delimiter (“:”) in the item names indicating their place in the grouping structure. Using that index is the key to rebuilding the structure.

Here are typical item or layer names for one part:
MSH024RS: 71010903:1: Solid1
MSH024RS: 71010903:2: Solid1
MSH024RS: 71010903:3: Solid1

Here’s a break down of what the script does:

Iterate through the item list. For each item:

Strip the first number from the item name. In my case it’s the file name. You may not need to do this. If not, “new_name” is the variable you don’t need. You should be able to comment that line out and replace it’s occurrence with “layer_name.”

The second number (71010903) identifies the part to which the item belongs. Each unique number becomes a folder.

Creates a group locator and assigns the item to the group.

The script is quite simple. Talking to modo is where I’m inexperienced. But this was a huge time saver, so I’m happy share.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6551.5 In reply to 6551.4 
I just realized that this may have been my first post on this forum.

So, hello everyone. I started using MoI sometime last year. I just have to say that it is a delight to use. I’m a designer and like most people, I use other software too. My focus is really people, and their ideas. For me, MoI shares the same kind of ‘space’ as markers or charcoal. It’s immediate, it always works. It’s right there, yet somehow transparent.

Of course, you all probably knew this…

Andy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6551.7 In reply to 6551.5 
Welcome to the forum Andy, I'm really glad that MoI has been useful for you!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6551.8 In reply to 6551.7 
Thank you Pilou and Michael.

I like your artwork and MoI site, Pilou.

Michael, I think we spoke at SIGGRAPH years ago. I don’t think you had a Mac version at the time. Sorry I’m late to the party : )
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All