mike maynard plastic detergent bottle?

Next
http://www.k4icy.com/tutorials.html trying out plastic bottle tutorial. quite complex for beginner but with help can succeed. using v3 beta.

have come to a stop where two handle curves are drawn. can not move forward.

doing project or trim to either side, do not get any results, cuts on sides of bottle?

is the smaller curve going in one direction and the larger going in the other direction?

hope to hear from someone. mean time will practice project and trim on simpler objects.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6511.2 In reply to 6511.1 
Hi Robert, it looks like you're all set up to make a trim there.

The steps are - first select the object to be trimmed, like this:

Now run the Edit > Trim command. The command prompt in the upper right part of the window tells you what MoI is expecting you to do next, here it says to select cutting objects. So at this stage select your cutting curves (no need to pre-project them, trim has projection built into it already). So select the 2 cutting curves like this:

Then to signal to MoI that you're finished selecting cutting objects, push the "Done" button or right-click in a viewport which is a shortcut for "Done".

You will now be in the final stage of the Trim command, the prompt will say: "Select pieces to remove or push Done to keep all". So at this point if you want to discard some piece you can pick that piece and then do Done/right-click, if you want everything to be cut up and all the pieces left behind then push Done/right-click without selecting any pieces to discard.

Let me know if you are still stuck.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6511.3 In reply to 6511.2 
here are some pics on where I am lost. mike's way of doing the inside of handle is confusing.
pic1 he uses trim. pic2 copy. pic3 extrude. pic4 and 5 show blend.

I did the inside handle by trimming both sides, then blend, see number 6. He says you can do it by using trim or project.
I tried to do a loft, join bottle and loft. then tried fillet handle edges but fillet failed.

Do not know pros or cons of doing inside handle, trim, extrude, project?

In pic6 I turned of grid. How do you turn off the x,y displayed?
Image Attachments:
Size: 76.2 KB, Downloaded: 33 times, Dimensions: 503x800px
Size: 88.9 KB, Downloaded: 34 times, Dimensions: 478x800px
Size: 49.8 KB, Downloaded: 42 times, Dimensions: 472x800px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6511.4 In reply to 6511.3 
Sorry for the confusion Robert,

If I can simplifies the procedure (and I welcome any 2nd opinions):

Your pics 1 and 2 shows how the first step is to make the openings in the outer surface.
In the Pics 3 and 4, the yellow surface simply represents a temporary extrusion made from the shape representing the inside perimeter of the handle.
The extrusion starts at exactly the middle point of inside of the bottle. Pics 4 and 5 shows a Blend (in the Construct menu) which has been made between the outside opening of the bottle and the edge of the temporary extrusion surface.
After the Blend surface is created the extrusion surface can be deleted. A second Blend can now be made between the edge of the first blend (in the middle) and the opposite outside opening of the bottle.
The purpose of the extrusion from the middle was to ensure that the inside surface of the handle occupies and exact position.

This was but one way to go about creating such an organically-shaped opening.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6511.5 In reply to 6511.3 
Hi Robert,

> In pic6 I turned of grid. How do you turn off the x,y displayed?

That's under Options > Grid > "Show grid axes".

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6511.6 In reply to 6511.5 
Michael, would be nice to have "Show grid axes" in the main window since you already have "Show Grid".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6511.7 In reply to 6511.4 
Mike, excellent tutorials you have. Trying to explain your models is not an easy task. You usually need two or three checks from other viewers to catch missing info.
I will suggest, make statements and ask questions in missing info that might help explain some of your detail modeling.

1. You say you can use trim or project. in pic1 why do you have two curves in making the handle cutout. one larger than the other? Being new to Moi I found out that if using trim in this bottle, you have to trim each side separately . If using project you would have to project from center to each side.

2. In pic2 you show copy? was this suppose to be project?

3. In pic3 you extrude from the small curve in the center going out to the back side.

4. In pic4 you blend from the larger curve in the fore ground to the center smaller curve.

5. In pic5 the view is the other side of the bottle being blended from the center small curve to the larger outside curve.

These are my comments, hope you understand them. I will continue with to finish the bottle and will ask questions if I get stuck again.

Thank Mike.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All