Moi and retina display.

Next
Moi and retina display.
A friend of mine is experiencing wrong scaling using Moi on a Macbook with Retina display. Is there a way to solve this? The UI looks like in a lower resolution which is being fit to the higher one, causing aliasing and noticeable difference in DPIs.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6496.2 In reply to 6496.1 
Hi Max, unfortunately there is not any way I know of right now to solve that - the way Apple has set up those Retina displays makes applications by default think that they are at half size and then stretches them onto the actual display. There is some way to turn off this behavior for some applications but unfortunately the way Apple has implemented the turn off switch seems to be kind of fragile and does not happen to work for the way MoI is set up.

Maybe the turn off switch has been improved in Mavericks though, I have not been able to test it there yet. The way the turn off switch is supposed to work is by right-clicking on the app and doing "Get Info". Then on that info dialog that pops up there is a checkbox "Open in low resolution" which you want to uncheck. It only is uncheckable for certain kinds of apps though apparently, at least in previous OS versions.

So as far as I know right now (unless that checkbox has been fixed) there isn't any way for that doubling behavior to be disabled for MoI right now, other than turning off the doubling mechanism entirely and running the whole system just at native resolution but that will tend to make other applications have very small text in them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6496.3 In reply to 6496.2 
You can use CSS, to feed scaled images to 2x.

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/retina-display-media-query/

I'm working on a complete brand new polished interface for myself to use, i will include this option for 2x sizeimages to be extra crisp on retina, of course if MOI browser engine supports it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6496.4 In reply to 6496.3 
Hi lapaev, I don't believe that is going to work for MoI's particular case because that requires some special setup at the host process level to make that happen, and some of the difficulty is in getting the MoI main process to be set up as high resolution aware so that its main window at the operating system level is not made half size and then scaled up.

That CSS stuff that you're showing works in Safari for example because Safari as a whole is set up as high resolution aware.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All