loft/sweep ?

Next
Hi, I'm having trouble making this into a solid. I've tried lofting and sweeping but don't get what I want.
Need some help.

Thanks for your time.

bz
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Maybe cut all curves by themselves then Network ?

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.3 In reply to 6485.1 
Hi bz, probably you're going to want to make a longer extended sweep and then cut it off from a side profile rather than trying to form a surface directly to the end like that. I'll try to make an example for you a bit later.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.4 In reply to 6485.1 
Hi bz, so probably what you want to do is to have just one profile curve and one path:

So note there that there aren't any sudden changes along the surface, it's just gradually curving in one direction. Don't worry that there is excess area on it, that's what you deal with in the next step.

Generally it's bad to make things with profiles that have sudden severe changes in them or are bunched up like you had originally with the end one suddenly pivoting in place.

So that makes a sweep like this:

Now you want a planar side profile curve, I just squished your edges flat in the top view to make this one here. You then select the sweep and run Trim, using that side profile as the cutting object, inside of Trim pick this part to discard:

It tends to be good if your sweep sticks down a little ways past the cutting profile instead of necessarily trying to make them directly on top of one another, if they push through each other a little bit it's easier to make sure different pieces will end up touching since they can come to a common intersection area.

That leaves you with a result like this:

The bottom surfaces of something like this can be formed by an extrusion of the side cutting curve, which also gets trimmed:

Also if you make the sweep profile closed and planar it will generate a solid directly from the sweep and then instead of using Trim for the side profile cut you can instead use boolean difference, which has the benefit that it will slice the sweep solid into 2 solid pieces and leave the imprint of the side extrusion already in place so it saves some steps. That tends to be how working at a level of solids can save some time instead of working just with individual surfaces.

Let me know if that does not make sense or is not what you're looking for.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.5 In reply to 6485.4 
Hi,
Wow ! Very nice !! But lets say that I needed the surface to follow the lower edge (the side view trim line) all he way around. It looks likes the surface pulls away a bit towards the rear. I tried to use the trim line as a scaling rail but it doesn't work. What you've done is good enough for my needs but I was just wondering ...

Thanks for your time.

bz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.6 In reply to 6485.5 
Hi bz,

> But lets say that I needed the surface to follow the lower edge (the side view trim line) all he way around.
> It looks likes the surface pulls away a bit towards the rear. I tried to use the trim line as a scaling rail but
> it doesn't work. What you've done is good enough for my needs but I was just wondering ...

That's why it can be good to make the sweep profile stick down a little ways past the trim line instead of trying to skim it directly along it, so that there's a little bit of extra material all around that then gets trimmed. That tends to be the easiest way to make sure it all matches up with the trim profile, with the profile cutting some material away from the entire surface.

Let me know if that does not make sense.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.7 In reply to 6485.6 
Hi,
I'm not seeing the surface staying true to the other sections or the lower line. Is it that there are too many sharp directional changes (like you said) and that maybe it has to be broken up into smaller areas to get a very accurate surface ?

Thanks for your time.

bz
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6485.8 In reply to 6485.7 
Hi bz, so that's normal that the result won't necessarily completely hug to some other lines that you've drawn - that final edge is now being generated by a projection of a side curve rather than coming directly from those 3D curves that you've drawn. It should be precise in the sense of it having the same side profile as the cutting profile though.

That's kind of a normal part of this type of modeling in general - many times the final edges that you produce are not things that you draw directly but rather come from intersections between surfaces.

If you want to control it further you'd put some more work on adjusting the surface shape.

Maybe I'm not entirely understanding what you are objecting to here though....

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6485.9 In reply to 6485.8 
Hi,
No objections here. This is a great program ! I'm still so new to it that I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks again for your help.

bz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All