MeshFusion released
 1-20  21-26

Next
A killer one! For the world of polygons subdivision ;)

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/plugins/meshfusion/

EDITED: 28 Jan 2014 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.2 In reply to 6469.1 
pretty cool!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Oh my... jaw dropping!

Now I need this in Cinema 4D :D
--
shapenoid.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Some times people looks very funny, all that stuff that shown in video could be done in MOI for years. Only difference is plolygonal network. People do not be the victin of PR! :)

-----------------------------------------
Portfolio: www.samardac.tumblr.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Pretty awesome.

This technology is really a great leap forward for sub'd modellers for creating 3D artwork and perhaps 3D printing. It should save them a lot of time.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.6 In reply to 6469.4 
> Some times people looks very funny, all that stuff that shown in video could be done in MOI for years. Only difference is plolygonal network. People do not be the victin of PR! :)

Hi Andrei,

with due respect, real time booleans and a non-destcructive workflow like shown with MeshFusion unfortunately can't be done in MoI... Even if i love MoI as much as everybody else, i can imagine that this will be a game changer for example for concept designers etc, i.e. quickly seeing the changes on the fly and then don't forget that there are also no fillet problems there like we often encounter in MoI. Unfortunateley there was already one person on the MODO forum who wanted to buy a copy of MoI and now after the release he considers MeshFusion, after seeing the demonstrations.I can imagine that there are now more people thinking about this new workflow, instead of of solids NURBS modeling...

If you have time check out this thread too, to see some more examples:
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=84105

Best regards
Stefan

EDITED: 28 Jan 2014 by STEFAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
For complex meshes result is very heavy!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.8 In reply to 6469.6 
Stefan, I have nothing against that technology, but my opinion is that people overestimate it. I alwas hear this word - gamechanger, but it is nothing than reproduction of PR company.
It is looks like they try to sell old stuf (nurbs logic) with new envelope (polygons). And those videos has great impact on people who never knows about NURBS, they think it is something revolutionary, and I sure Luxology will get a lot of money)!

Pilou, what do you mean?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.9 In reply to 6469.8 
<< what do you mean?

Heavy density of mesh after the boolean operations on complex objects along the cut edges!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Andrei

The boolean objects and the resulting chamfered edges are dynamic. You can move them around in real time, change them however you like, switch the order up, etc. It's completely fluid.

It's not even remotely the same thing as MoI.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.11 In reply to 6469.9 
Yeah. I don't get the complaint. This to save you the thousands of man hours typically spent trying to sub-d those kinds of shapes so some extra density on a mesh that's only going to be used for normal map baking anyway is sort of a non-concern.

To my workflow, anyway.

My computer is a beast so ... YMMV!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.12 In reply to 6469.11 
WarrenM, no problem I just explain my opinion about this :)

-----------------------------------------
Portfolio: www.samardac.tumblr.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I just took a little offense to the "it's all PR" angle. It's not your opinion that's the problem, it's spouting off information that is factually incorrect that annoyed me. But anyway...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I agree with Shapenoid, it would be great if that tech could make it into C4D. It seems like it would be very useful for tweaking models for concept and final rendering rather than fiddling with all details in NURBS that may not be necessary for manufacturing but will show up in the finished product.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.15 In reply to 6469.6 
Hi Stefan, it's definitely a very useful tool! But it's also not magic without any problems whatsoever, you wrote:

> and then don't forget that there are also no fillet problems there like we often encounter in MoI.

This isn't really quite accurate, there are examples of failed fillets in their own tutorial video here:
http://vimeo.com/85143356

It looks like in a large complex project that you could run into many badly formed fillets with it, it will probably depend a lot on the particular characteristics of the shape though.

It certainly looks like it's very useful for people doing sub-d modeling though, it should allow someone who is already very comfortable with sub-d modeling to be able to do some boolean operations to build their final shape, no doubt that is helpful!

It's a little bit odd that the final output does not look like it's ready to be a sub-d cage itself though, I had thought that was a focus of the Groboto mesh generation stuff. This may be a significant problem for some workflows since it looks like you can't just go in and tweak a few points of the generated result to adjust things...

I'd say that there are still many benefits to NURBS modeling for mechanical object construction, some of the good parts about NURBS modeling are not just that you can do booleans but also that you can generate large chunks of your model just from drawing 2D curves, and also that there is a high level of accuracy, like when you cut a circular hole you know it is really a circle that you're getting to a high level of tolerance. Also relating to accuracy, I've heard many times from Modo users that they greatly prefer MoI's snapping functions to those in Modo, so that's another pretty big consideration as well...

But it all depends on what in particular someone is looking for - if someone is doing sort of blobby semi-mechanical shapes and they're already very comfortable with sub-d modeling, MF looks like a great tool to help them while staying within Modo.

With MoI, you get an overall much broader tool that has a lot of things in the workflow that are tuned for mechanical model construction...

It's probably not a bad idea to have both! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.16 In reply to 6469.15 
Mesh fusion is really an amazing exploration tool, thanks to the live boolean tree system, and the freedom from sds modeling. The integration in Modo is very well done.

This kind of crazy shape is really hot !
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23530633/FusionImg/fusionWidjetsB.jpg

But ... the final mesh quality is not that great. As you can see in the video, you have to push the sub-d level from input object very high to avoid troubles, and even then, it doesnt have the surface quality like you can have with MoI. Reflection are allways a little bit wavy. Fillets (or stripes like they calles it) are sometimes a little bit out of control, radius is not constant, and there is for the moment no way to create various radius.

Of course it only concern picky prick like me, and you have to consider it's the 1.0 version of the product.

Also I hate retopo job, I think it's the biggest annoying 3d task ... and that's something I really like with MoI, I never have to retopo anything. Exports are clean for the rendering, and the mesher gives enough option to keep polycount low.

For someone who never used nurbs, it's a wave of fresh air, but for us, MoI user, it doesnt look that 'amazing'.

EDITED: 28 Jan 2014 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.17 In reply to 6469.15 
Hi Michael,

"""""""This isn't really quite accurate, there are examples of failed fillets in their own tutorial video here:"""""

Yeah, but there must have been some type of precursor to that video. He seems to be working on an "all tri's" model? Is there some type of rule about all tri's and subd?

"""""It's probably not a bad idea to have both! """"""""""

A man after my own heart!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.18 In reply to 6469.17 
Hi BurrMan,

>> Yeah, but there must have been some type of precursor to that video. He seems to be working on an "all tri's" model? Is there some type of rule about all tri's and subd?

No, the input geometry need to be all quad. If there are triangles in the input, mesh fusion will add an extra sub-d level on it to resolve the topology. If there is a n-gone, it will just not consider the input mesh valid.

Now, the result mesh preview is a procedural mesh, and for some reason, modo shows it triangulated. When you 'freeze' the result, you will only get quads on the final mesh (and few triangle here and there).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.19 In reply to 6469.18 
Hi PaQ,

> Now, the result mesh preview is a procedural mesh, and for some reason, modo shows it
> triangulated. When you 'freeze' the result, you will only get quads on the final mesh (and
> few triangle here and there).

Hmmm, I was wondering why the output was looking totally triangulated - so it isn't really.

But I'd think that the output probably has enough topology deviations from the original in collision areas that applying further subdivision on top of it will tend to introduce unwanted shaping side effects, as described here:
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/post.aspx?f=4&t=84105&p=756925

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6469.20 In reply to 6469.19 
Hi Michael,

You are right indeed.
Here's a couple of images from a 'simple' boolean case.
It was a test I've done during the beta, so there a chance the final mesh is better now.

Draft Working Mesh : That's the procedural mesh you see during the modeling by default.
You can also choose the preview an airtight and an final airtight version, however it will still look triangulated at that poind.

Next images are the model when 'exported' or 'commit'.

Draft : Few triangles, fillets/stripes are still separeted mesh
Airtight : Everything is merged, but the topology is not very optimal (looks a bit like the MoI quad and tris export option)
Airtight Final : Much 'better' topology, lost of nasty micro triangles are gone.

However, there are still some triangles, and lots of high valence vertex, meaning than adding an extra subdivision surface will create wavy distortion.

EDITED: 28 Nov 2014 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-26