Fillet

Next
Hi,
Why do I get the same size fillet on both ends of a lofted or swept solid ?
I would like to have different values on each end.

Thanks for your time.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.2 In reply to 6454.1 
Not yet existing as variable fillet function!

Maybe in the next version ;)

So maybe a method

EDITED: 23 Jan 2014 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.3 In reply to 6454.2 
Thanks for your reply.
If I loft a simple solid like a circle into an ellipse I can apply different fillet values at both ends. Why wouldn't it work for a slightly more complicated loft or sweep ?

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.4 In reply to 6454.3 
Hi jetblast, can you please post a 3DM model file with your loft or sweep object in it where you're seeing the problem?

Do you mean that the radius value that you want to use just doesn't work?

It might be that if you're trying to use a larger fillet radius on one side, that there is not enough space in the model for the fillet to fit once it tries to trim things to make space. When things come to sharp angles to one another it's possible for fillets to eat up quite a bit of the model in order for them to fit.

But it's hard to speculate on what in particular you might be running into, there are a lot of different possible things that can cause fillet problems. If you can post your model file that will help a lot to give you some better more specific feedback on your problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.5 In reply to 6454.4 
Hi,
Sorry for the confusion. What I was looking for was a, lets say, 5 mm rad fillet on the front and 2 mm rad on the back. I always get the same value on both ends. Also is there a way to vary the radius on one end starting with 7 mm rad at the 12 o'clock going to a 4 mm at the 6 o'clock and then back to 7 mm at the 12 o'clock ?

Thanks for your time.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.6 In reply to 6454.5 
Hi jetblast,

> Sorry for the confusion. What I was looking for was a, lets say, 5 mm rad fillet
> on the front and 2 mm rad on the back. I always get the same value on both ends.

You can do this one by doing the fillets in 2 separate passes, the first time target just the front edges for filleting and put in your 5mm for that one, then finish that fillet, and then set your selection for targeting only the back edge and then run fillet a second time for that one and put in a value of 2mm on that second fillet pass.

Right now you're probably selecting the whole object before you run the fillet command, is that correct? When you select the whole object then the fillet command will target every sharp edge it can find in the whole object to apply that same fillet radius to.

You need to narrow your selection to either edges or faces in order to tell the fillet command to only work on those specific areas instead of the whole model.

Have you seen how to do a "drill in" selection to target sub-objects? That's when you do a second click on a solid, the first click on a solid will select the whole solid but then if you do a second click on it you'll "drill in" and select either edges or faces of the solid. That's what you need to do in this case before running the fillet command so that you won't be filleting all the edges at once.

Another issue is that you've got generator curves in this case overlapping the exact same area where the solid edges that you want to target are at - those curves will get in the way of targeting the edges so if you want to do a "drill in" selection of the front or back edges where you've also got the original generator curves you will need to hide or delete those to get them out of the way so you can target the edge rather than getting the generator curve selected.

Instead of selecting edges you can also select faces instead, which will then fillet all the edges that belong to that face. In this case if you select just the front or back face you can do that without needing to hide any generator curves. To do that do the "drill in" selection near the middle of the face where you're not close to any curves, zoom in a bit if there is not any good space on the face alone that is not right next to a curve.

If you're still having problems with how the "drill in" selection works, try going over the tutorial videos here: http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/tutorials.htm , especially the sunburst and 3 legged pod ones, they do filleting in those 2 and they should mention how the drill-in selection works to make the fillet only go on specific edges. Just again note that if you have curves overlapping those same areas where the edges are at hide or delete those curves since they will get targeted first and make the edges inaccessible.

> Also is there a way to vary the radius on one end starting with 7 mm rad at the 12 o'clock
> going to a 4 mm at the 6 o'clock and then back to 7 mm at the 12 o'clock ?

Sorry there isn't any way to do this one currently in MoI - this is what Pilou is mentioning above that's called a "variable radius fillet". It's something that I want to add in to MoI but there isn't any function for doing it right now.

Hope this helps though!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6454.7 In reply to 6454.6 
Hi,
You are correct !! I was picking the solid and then trying to pick an edge. The solid was still lit as was the edge and that's why I was getting fillets at both ends.
When I 'drilled in' to just a surface it worked as you said. PERFECT !!!
Eliminating some of the construction lines helps ALOT too !

Good stuff !!!
Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6454.8 In reply to 6454.7 
Great, I'm glad that one is solved up!

This particular thing of construction curves in the same spot preventing edges from being selected tends to trip people up fairly often. Once you know what to look out for then it's ok after that, but I haven't quite been able to figure out a good solution to make the process a bit smoother from the beginning. In the future I'll probably try to experiment with some different improvements to selection in these particular situations.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All