(Devil's Advocate question) Compare MOI to...

Next
Hi,

I am still new to 3D and trying to get a grasp with not only 3D concepts but what the various software packages do. It is with this last bit in mind that I'd like to ask a question. (I obviously realize modeling/rendering/animating are completely separate steps in the pipeline, so with MOI being modeling-only, I would only ask for answers relating to this.)

I COULD, if I wanted to, try as many demos of other software as I could spare the time to learn. However, already spending money on some that I am now regretting after finding MOI, I am wondering what you others with more 3D modeling experience love about MOI as compared to...(YOU fill in the blank).

I am a MOI customer no matter what, but I am wanting to know what the major benefits MOI has over some of the other software apps, not just as much to "know what I am missing" but more to know what's INCLUDED that I could appreciate not having to do in those other apps.

I know that some other apps use other ways of modeling, like Sub-D, etc, but I have no need or interest in doing organic models (mostly just mechanical or architectural).

I guess, too, I just don't want to be hyped by some slick marketing on another package that wouldn't even be as productive as MOI in certain situations.

Sorry for making this long and drawn-out, and I hope at least I explained the issue well enough.

Take care, all,

- A
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
645.2 In reply to 645.1 
I understand how you feel - I (unfortunately) have modelers out the gazoo - (Lightwave's modeler, XSI's modeler, Hexagon 1, (the now defunct) Hexagon 2, Amapi 7.5, ZBrush 2 (now 3), Silo, Rhino 2 (boy if I had kept all the money in my pocket that I've spent on software - I'd be rich (and prolly bored... ;-) )
(In my defense, there be so many sales and incentives, it's hard to resist them at times - well for me anyway...)

The thing is, each modeler has its advantages and disadvantages (as with all software) - everyone claims to have the best uber modeler (hence my current evaluation (again) of Modo...)

I felt the same as you when I first learned about Rhino; it was easy to draw out curves and loft, revolve or patch your surfaces together - crazy fast and easy. Unfortunately for me, with Rhino, it was never easy to get a exported mesh out that was "friendly" to my polygonal apps (the triangles killed the surface smoothness and polygon density also made it hard if you wanted to animate.)

Now here in 2007, we have MOI, Michael as made some good advancements in the meshing routines so that it's not that hard to get decent >ngonal< exports out to other apps - just look at all the great C4D and other renders around here.

Time has also brought me experience - any kind of model I create in MOI (Rhino) should be mostly used as props and background objects; buildings, furniture - anything that doesn't require>bending< type animations. Those special>character< models should remain SDS or native to the rendering app at hand (XSI, Lightwave etc.)

So I'm very interested in MOI (and NURBS modeling) again for the ease of model creation (compared to polygons and subdivision surfaces.)

I'm sort of in a quandry because now that I've forced myself (this time) to work with the Modo demo, I've actually become proficient with it and sort of like it - I just can't see myself spending $700 for yet another SDS modeler (even with the 3D garage training incentive thrown in...)

So in my opinion, you need to determine>what< you're going to do with your models - for static renderings (architectural, still life etc.) renderings, MOI is great because you can create your objects so easily and polygon count and mesh topology is not so much of an issue.

If you're looking to create characters for animation, then you need to look at your>export path< and determine NOW if you can successfully get MOI models into your animation package and get them to look good and animate the way you need (or would like) them to.

Retopology tools like TopoGun and Silo's retopology toolset also makes it possible to take hi-poly models, clean up and trim them down to an animation friendly state - extra work in my opinion (over perhaps just building it straight SDS) but it depends on your workflow and project timeframes...

I'm definitely leaning more towards MOI than Modo for one cause I feel Modo was just the Lux guys walking out of Newtek (with source code CDs in pocket); I had to chuckle when I saw the Modo 301 preview video - the animation timeline just totally looked like Lightwave to me - granted perhaps Lightwave 10 or 11.

I believe if I hold out long enough, Newtek will do some great things for Modeler (hell, they should steal from Modo! Modo certainly seems to support all of LW's file formats and other internals (MDDs Morphs) - hmmm!) For now LWCAD makes Modeler a joy for me again.

I'd rather give my cash to Michael at this point - hopefully when the documentation is done, the best practices and modeling methods will be detailed so there won't be too much guessing as to how to use MOI's tools thus making modeling with MOI that much more faster!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
645.3 In reply to 645.2 
Hi,

For me it's hard to compare MoI with any other application. If we talk about CAD apps,
I can't say much because it's not my field. And if we want to compare MoI with any kind
of NURBS to Polys exporting utility, MoI is a new world of possibilites.
I've been working in 3D for a long time, and this is the first time I'm interested in getting familiar
with NURBS modelling, and include that into my pipeline. And the reason is how good MoI
convert NURBS to polys.
I need to make UVs, rigging, different kind of deformations to the mesh, animation, etc... and
I need, of course, a polygonal mesh, and I need it clean. So, since I have to work with polys,
NURBS wern't a very usable option for me. It's more or less important depending on the field
you work, and what are you going to do with your objects.

So, bottom line is... MoI for me is a tool that can be perfectly integrated into my pipeline,
and can make my life easier. I can save a lot of time of work doing some kind of objects
in MoI (using NURBS) instead of fight with polygons, but get a clean and nice polygonal
mesh as result.

Now, only one thing left: that other applications improve their OBJ importer to work fine
with N-Gons.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I guess MoI can't be compared with other modelers because it is still in beta stage or at least in pre-release stage... All other modelers mentioned have version numbers bigger than 2.0
Since MoI is still young, and some basic tools missing it is easy to find advantages for other programs... I believe that MoI 3.0 will be a best seller and Michael will be hired from AutoDesk and MoI will be Autodesk's "Modeling Inspiration" :-)

Seriously, MoI is something NEW.
I had no idea what NURBS modeling was, I am an engineer using CAD for 19 years and now that CAD is transforming to BIM (Building Information Modeling) for architecture I see that I need a new, fast, easy and powerful modeler. I am sure that this will be MoI.
The same happened with renderers... From simple scanline, to Vray, to Maxwell...
This is what always happens...
From pencil to computer to virtual reality...
From horses to cars to airplanes...
etc.

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Moi is probably most similar to Rhino, since Michael is the Father Of Rhino and Moi has most of the basic functionality of Rhino. The mesher is already better than Rhino's and I like Michael's guides better than Rhino's smartTrack. Moi is much more forgiving, too.
I haven't had much time to play with Moi lately, but I'm definitely planning on buying.
I'm really excited to see what Moi will turn into. I know if Michael Gibson is involved, it will be very cool.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All