need help with my hard-edge-car please!
 1-19  20-28

Previous
Next
6449.20 In reply to 6449.19 
Hi Michael,

I tried to "join" the faces several times. But it does not seem to work.
After the "join" command, when I click on the object, it only selects the part/face
where I clicked and not the whole object.

I will go through your posts and see, if it helps.

IGS is requested for production. Get feedback tomorrow, if other formats
are accepted.

I know, that my workflow is not the right one for nurbs modelling.
I come from Polymodelling and sculpting.

With "network"-faces I have massive problems.
When I'm just playing arround, I get the strangest shapes in MOI with
fillets and holes etc. etc.. Everthing seem to work well.
But as soon as I have to work on a concret object/shape (like this toycar) nothing works.
I cannot even bevel the simplest corner. Still have to learn a lot.

A complet car tutorial would be nice!
The ones I found are recorded are all without audio and
so fast, that I cannot follow, whats going on.

regards
Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.21 In reply to 6449.20 
Hi mike,

> I tried to "join" the faces several times. But it does not seem to work.
> After the "join" command, when I click on the object, it only selects the part/face
> where I clicked and not the whole object.

Could you maybe post a file with an example? I just tried with the file you posted before and I tried a few surfaces and was able to join them ok. It's hard for me to give you very good advice when I'm not able to specifically see what you're asking about.

> With "network"-faces I have massive problems.

Is there an example that you have saved off so I can look at it and try to give you some specific advice?

> But as soon as I have to work on a concret object/shape (like this toycar) nothing works.

Again, I need more specific information on what's not working for you - for example you said that you can't export to IGES but when I just tried it myself I was able to do it...

> I cannot even bevel the simplest corner. Still have to learn a lot.

Filleting is a pretty finicky operation, there are lots of things that can make it difficult for it to work well. If you could post the file that has this simple corner in it, that may help me to give you some more information on what might be making it to be actually kind of complex as far as filleting is concerned.

When you run into a problem it really helps me if you can post an example file that has things narrowed down just to the specific thing that is actually related to your problem you are asking about. So for example if you're having a problem with 2 surfaces, post a file with just those 2 surfaces in them and not hundreds of other surfaces that are unrelated to your particular question at hand. Please remember that I'm not as familiar with your model as you are and so I don't really know how to sort through a big pile of stuff to get to the thing you're asking about.

Car modeling tends to be one of the more advanced and difficult types of modeling you can do... So it kind of requires a longer learning curve and spin up time, you'll be dealing with a lot more difficult areas. It will probably be frustrating for some time to come.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.22 In reply to 6449.20 
You may actually be more productive creating things in your preferred polymodeling environment and then use one of the new crop of converter tools for converting the sub-d model into a NURBS model that can be read in by CAD programs.

T-splines for Rhino can do this, also I think T-splines is built into Autodesk Inventor Fusion now as well, and there is also a converter for Modo called sub-d NURBS: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/Power_SubD-NURBS/

That route may be worth a try for you since you wouldn't have to learn a new difficult and advanced level modeling workflow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.23 In reply to 6449.22 
Hi Michael,

all told problems occured in this second 3dm-file I have attached.

Good tip btw with Modo and Inventor.
I always thought, that Polymodels could not be converted into nurbs. Only vise versa.

But anyway. MOI is a plessure to work with because of its simple UI and workflow
(except the problems I'm still running into)

So I'm trying to get better skills with nurbs modelling.

Therefore: If I already have the main body of the car (like in my file) how do I make the bottom of the car as
one surface so it fits exactly to the wheel arches?

thanks
Mike
Image Attachments:
Size: 248 KB, Downloaded: 6 times, Dimensions: 1971x1295px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.24 In reply to 6449.23 
Hi mike,

> all told problems occured in this second 3dm-file I have attached.

Ok, but you have 150 objects in that file and it's not even zoomed in to any particular area. I need things narrowed down a whole lot to have much of a chance at following what you're talking about.

I just looked at your last image shot, and I selected the surfaces around one of your indicated areas:

And that seemed to join up for me ok.

I need to get a much more focused and narrowed down example from you in order to help you very much. It's very difficult to help you given only pretty general or vague descriptions and when I can't reproduce the problem over here. Please be much more specific and give a file with _only_ the things related to the specific issue you're asking about, that would help a lot.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.25 In reply to 6449.23 
> Good tip btw with Modo and Inventor.
> I always thought, that Polymodels could not be converted into nurbs. Only vise versa.

This used to be true, it's only fairly recently that there are some tools for going in the sub-d to NURBS direction.

> Therefore: If I already have the main body of the car (like in my file) how do I make the bottom of the car as
> one surface so it fits exactly to the wheel arches?

The part that goes up to the wheel arches would be separate surfaces, it's all the coplanar or nearly coplanar fragments all along the very bottom that you'd want to have as one big surface. The basic thing is instead of drawing in every single boundary edge of your object to start with, you want several of the boundaries in your final 3D shapes to be generated as the result of booleans or trims between pieces rather than manually drawn...

Car modeling though is a particularly difficult area and there are areas in it that will force you away from the primarily boolean-driven method that is really where NURBS modeling is strongest in and easier to use.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.26 In reply to 6449.25 
Basically NURBS modeling works really well when you are driving much of the design from 2D profile curves, using some of those curves to generate large extended shapes and then using other 2D curves or other generated solids to cut pieces away.

The less that you are able to do things along that pattern, the more difficult things will be and the more things tend to become more suitable for sub-d modeling 3D cage driven workflow rather than 2D profile curve driven workflow...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6449.27 In reply to 6449.26 
Yes, this is exactly what I have to learn.

I know, its impossible to help me out here with my spare comments.
I for myself cannot reproduce the stages, where I had those problems, but
as you said, I have to think different here (larger shapes and cutting/trimming away)

thanks very much for your support!

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6449.28 In reply to 6449.27 
Hi mike, yeah focusing on using cutting operations as a main way of working is usually a big adjustment for people coming from a sub-d modeling background.

Check out here for some links to discussions and general tips for people who are coming from a sub-d / poly modeling background:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-19  20-28