sweep problem

Next
I can't make this simple sweep happen. did it before, same measurements, now it fails. a large U shape with rounded corners, and a rectangle. the rectangle is smaller than the radius of the corners, so it should bend nicely.
I tried it in 3 versions of moi, the official and 2 latest betas.

tnx
wim
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 148.7 KB, Downloaded: 24 times, Dimensions: 763x623px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6442.2 In reply to 6442.1 
Moving the rectangle to the end of the U works.
There are 4 objects in the file.

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Brian,

where exactly did you place the rectangle? I tried that, but only the outer side is swept, and the info window says it is a solid, but it does not look like one. and rotating the original rectangle afterwards doesn't help either.
I placed the rectangle in all possible positions, but nothing helps.

rgds
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6442.4 In reply to 6442.3 
Hi wim,

Please take a look:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6442.5 In reply to 6442.3 
I was mistaken.
However, just scale up the drawing by 50 times. Then the sweep works as is, with sweep line centered in the rectangle.

By relocating the bottom center of the rectangle to the sweep line, then scaling, sweep works.

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6442.6 In reply to 6442.1 
Hi wim, re: sweep problem - it's another example of the "teeny tiny object size" problem, here the width of your sweep profile is 0.001 units across, if you scale this up by even 10 times in size it should then work ok as in the attached version.

Basically some operations do additional refinement of their calculations until their result is within 0.001 units of the ideal result. But when your entire shape is also only 0.001 units across, that same 0.001 accuracy target just doesn't provide enough accuracy for things to give good results.

Later on I'll see if I can make these cases that you ran into today work with relative tolerance. But it can be a tricky thing to do very well, especially when it's not the entire bounding box size that's small but only one single piece.

At any rate, it's again a case of if you don't make things with much smaller than say 0.01 you'll get more reliable operation for this.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6442.7 In reply to 6442.6 
Thanks Michael. I have set the measurements to meters for a few reasons: the caddy (the final object) is 2 meters long, but most of all, when exporting to Maxwellrender (.obj format) then everything blows up by 100 if I set it to cm. and I go back and forth a few times between moi and mw, so switching the units is a pain. the object I had trouble with is 1 mm thick, but of course with the rounding it is a matter of tenths of mm, so that is indeed a very small measurement.
If there was an easier method to communicate with mw, it would be great. meanwhile, I will switch the units when I run into this sort of trouble!

thanks again
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6442.8 In reply to 6442.7 
Hi wim,

> but most of all, when exporting to Maxwellrender (.obj format)
> then everything blows up by 100 if I set it to cm. and I go back
> and forth a few times between moi and mw, so switching the
> units is a pain.

You can solve this one by setting the option in MoI under Options > Import/Export > OBJ options > "Scale factor". If you put in 0.01 for that scale factor option, your exported OBJ file will get scaled down by 1/100 in size just at export time, that should get it at the size that Maxwell likes to have things.

> If there was an easier method to communicate with
> mw, it would be great.

This is really the best way, because if you post here there is a chance that someone else may be able to help if I'm away on some family emergency like I am now.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All