Illustrator-like blend

Next
is there a simple way to create a multi step blend from one simple curve to another, like in Illustrator, but then in 3D?
here is an example. I first drew 1 straight line, made a circular array, drew 2 trim lines, trimmed the vertical lines, copied the lines, connected each pair of lines, joined each set of 3 lines, then filleted each set.
I have to do this with 65 vertical lines, so I was wondering if there is no easier way to do this.

thanks
wim
Image Attachments:
Size: 79 KB, Downloaded: 50 times, Dimensions: 610x483px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6436.2 In reply to 6436.1 
Select all / Function Loft Direct ....don't make that ?
And you fillet at the end...if I well understand ...that is not sure :)

EDITED: 15 Jan 2014 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6436.3 In reply to 6436.1 
Hi wim,

> is there a simple way to create a multi step blend from one simple curve to another, like in Illustrator, but then in 3D?

Max recently posted a "morph curve" plug-in which I think does what you're looking for:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6373.1

Or another way you can approach it is to build a surface and then extract curves out of that surface to get your in between ones, either by using Construct > Curve > Isoparm, or by setting up a bunch of lines and projecting those onto the surface by Construct > Curve > Project.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thanks Michael,

Max' script looks very useful, I also tried your construct>curve>project solution, which works a charm, but I got lost with the isoparm solution, it seems that this only works with faces, not with objects. and only vertical/horizontal. or is there a hidden feature?
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6436.5 In reply to 6436.4 
Hi wim, for the isoparm method that does work on only a single face at a time. To make that convenient on something like you've got you would want to run the Rebuild command on your curves before constructing a surface from them:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild

The Rebuild will get rid of segmentation of your curve, it makes one large uninterrupted segment out of all the smoothly connecting sections of the input curves. Then when you construct a surface out of the non-segmented curve you'll get a big single surface instead of segmented faces.

It is only for doing a sort of "local to the surface" horizontal or vertical direction line though, but that should pretty well naturally follow the surface structure from how the surface was created though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6436.6 In reply to 6436.5 
Thanks Michael!
another useful thing learned from MoI!! (the rebuild command)

cheers
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All