Any thoughts about a VR - Oculus Rift mode?

Next
I've been pretty excited about the Oculus Rift since it was announced, and I think VR will be a very natural way to model 3d objects, making things more immersive and "real world" than just manipulating views on a screen. More like a sculpting than computer operating, I suppose. Has there been any thought on making a "Rift View" kind of thing to be able to look at the world like a camera, but with head-tracking and gamepad/WASD game kind of control in viewing things? That would be pretty amazing.

Implementation could "simply" be another view button for VR that gives a side-by-side 3d view that takes up the screen. You could look around the shaded view, move around, etc, and then when you're done, take the goggles off, and click the split or top/whatever view and you're back to standard MOI.

EDITED: 12 Jan 2014 by RHADIEM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.2 In reply to 6430.1 
Have you ever actually tried one Rhadiem?

I was at a college that setup a massive server and hooked up headsets for the public. I'de say about 87% of the people stepped off and headed over to the john. Most of the others just stood around waiting for the affects to wear off.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.3 In reply to 6430.1 
<...inappropriate message re: Miley Cyrus removed...>

Happy MoI.

EDITED: 12 Jan 2014 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.4 In reply to 6430.3 
Bard, this is not the correct forum for posting messages with offensive content, I'm not sure why you would post something like that here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.5 In reply to 6430.1 
Hi rhadiem,

> Has there been any thought on making a "Rift View" kind of thing to be able to look
> at the world like a camera, but with head-tracking and gamepad/WASD game kind
> of control in viewing things? That would be pretty amazing.

I have not really thought much about this myself yet - but the tricky part I think is that you probably can't really use a desktop mouse or something with that device so it probably needs a whole different approach for the GUI for controlling things. I think the whole UI needs to be built more from the ground up oriented towards something like that, probably won't work to just try and make only the viewing portion of a desktop application to work very well with it...

It would be a lot of fun to do that, but there is a huge amount of work and time involved...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.6 In reply to 6430.2 
I own an Oculus Rift.. have it in front of me. It's pretty cool, and the higher end version that won best of CES is even better.

VR is coming, and they are hard at work on fixing the limitations of the first development kit.

Thanks Michael for listening :) Most of the demos use mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad for controls. My request would be fine with mouse and keyboard control like most games use, and just let us hover around and look at what we're making. This is likely a good bit simpler than what you describe, but I agree a full VR modeling program would be much more work. I'd definitely use it though! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.7 In reply to 6430.6 
Hi rhadiem, I did take a quick look at their software library a little bit ago, and from what I could tell it required a newer version of the compiler than what I'm currently using. So I'm not really set up right now even just to use their development kit. So I think it will be a while before I'll be in a position to even properly investigate any kind of minimal integration.

I think it will probably be fairly difficult even to just use the mouse with it though, I think in order for UI elements like buttons and such to be displayed on that device they probably have to be rendered using the 3D graphics pipeline. MoI in its current configuration as a regular desktop focused application is not set up like that right now, it only sends just the viewports to be rendered using the 3D graphics pipeline and not the other parts of the GUI. This is fairly different than a game that does all of its UI with custom drawn things directly inside of the 3D game engine.

Have you seen any of the demos that you've used do anything that a regular desktop application would do like put up a regular system file dialog box or things like that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.8 In reply to 6430.4 
Michael : Because the words: "excited Oculus and "real world" on a screen." it's a portal opened to say a big obscenity as "False is True", "3D Simulation is Real world", "Black is White", and others falsehoods, untruths; and I add always after: "Et mon cul c'est du poulet", "And my bottom it's chicken", pet, love, letters: and the suite is: "If it had two wings, it would fly". That damages, or offences all the planet as clericalism of romA, killer of Amor; and the verb "to excite" takes all its sense with exhibitionism in filthy show of Miley Circus, henceforth synonym of Peripatetic. The word "Groin" is not crude, that means "Pig-nose, snout, nose = truffe" in French; the french word is "Aine", more nice than the "Pelvis" of pedantic or doctoral idolatrous, or worst, adulatory. It's not my fault if people have no letters, or wrong things in the head, taken in schools, churches, slaveries, televisions, radios, press, for servants, domestics, and other lackeys of capital (totally inflated, cracked up, this word). Well!

Sorry, I'm Man of Arts; not a spurious censor.

For info: an "OCULUS" is an "ANUS", a Macaronee term holding "O'Cul" = At Bottom; said falsely for "Small-Eye", hole closed, occulted, or covered a globe". In reality, it's given for a "big-ox-eye" in architecture, a specy window at the top of a dome (coupole, cup, cap).

Be clear; when somebody, same here, made the sales promotion for an "Oculus = Anus" after the verb "to excite", I fell a bad smell from this orifice closed. Yes! Orifice, from "Oris = Mouth", always from dead Macaronee, not a real language, but a jargon imagined for sect's members or phallus, religiosity in a party = genital part; that divides; pull apart, cut, separate, & full of others meanings that I won't say here in a 3D real dump, cattle or human fair, market = Forum, place to buy slaves males and females (Where is the females?).

Ok! You go to erase this intervention = manifestation, action of what it is existing, real, present, true, concrete. It's omnidirectional, more 3 Dimensions, not easy to draw it in flat perspectives on a screen. It is a necessity to erase, now that I know you can do it, Mister the Censor (LOL!!!).

Happy MoI.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.9 In reply to 6430.8 
Hi Bard, I would appreciate it if you would avoid posting long off topic rants so full of negative and hateful statements here on this message board.

If you want to discuss that stuff free of any type of rules of conduct please do so on a different chat type message board, this one is dedicated to discussions involving MoI and for helping people do creative works of art and design. Messages that significantly deviate from that will be removed.

Thank you for your help in keeping this to be a positive and helpful community rather than a flame war based one.

I understand that there could be some language barrier going on here and possibly you are not aware of the offensive language that you are using. Just for future reference, if you are writing a message referencing things like piss, anus, groins, prostitutes, and genitals, it is safe to say that your message will very likely be interpreted as an offensive one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for taking an off-topic (and psychotic) dump on my thread Bard.... seriously man what the heck. ???

Michael,

My idea wouldn't really need any in-3d interface stuff, just a standard gui viewport button to switch it on and off, as it would just be a camera view kind of thing that would take up the full screen (which would need to be maximised to line up properly in the Rift). I just imagined the standard gui would hide where it blocks any in-3d circles that are picked up by the Rift. There is a lot of black space around the 3d content that can't really be seen normally. You wouldn't need to display anything inside the 3d, just the model. Does this make sense?

Here's a pic of the needed 3d display stuff, the black can't be seen in-Rift. http://i0.wp.com/www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/crashland-oculus-rift-demo.jpg

I understand if it's not your focus, or it's technically not beneficial to mess with, I just thought it would be a fun and useful way to look at what you've modeled. Just fwiw.

Going beyond this into a full VR modeling mode, you could use something like the Razer Hydra or Sixsense STEM system controllers as "hands" in a VR space, where you can do a full VR implementation. Hovering button bars and such.

Sixsense is doing their own VR modeling software here - http://sixense.com/sixensestudios/makevr
It's pretty basic though.

EDITED: 14 Jan 2014 by RHADIEM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.11 In reply to 6430.10 
Hi rhadiem,

> You wouldn't need to display anything inside the 3d, just the model. Does this make sense?

But then wouldn't you need to take on and off the whole device whenever you wanted to actually draw something?

I'm just not sure how much actual usefulness that would have, I mean it would definitely be fun but it's kind of a lot of investigation and work involved even to get to that point... It's sort of difficult for me to find the time for stuff that might not deliver a whole lot of specific usefulness to the end result.

Are there any viewer applications that can just load a 3D model from an .obj file for example? Maybe setting up a shortcut key that would just save to an OBJ file and then fire up the viewer program would do about the same level of thing that you're asking about...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.12 In reply to 6430.11 
From MoI to .obj to Octane Stand Alone works pretty well for a rotatable quick render, also.
Not the same thing you are hoping for but I find it a helpful route.
cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.13 In reply to 6430.11 
> But then wouldn't you need to take on and off the whole device whenever you wanted to actually draw something?

Yeah you have a point. I'll check out that Octane renderer then, if that has a VR viewing mode. I hadn't heard that does. I guess I figured it could be a start to a fuller VR mode, but yeah there is little benefit to do all that just to do a quick view.

Hopefully a MOI-VR will be something we will get in a few years? :D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.14 In reply to 6430.13 
Hi rhadiem,

> Hopefully a MOI-VR will be something we will get in a few years? :D

It would be really fun to work on that! But there is still so much stuff that's been requested for the current non-VR MoI version, I don't want to really abandon the current version of MoI and shoot off on some totally different direction at least not for a while to come anyway...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6430.15 In reply to 6430.14 
I would love to test such goggles myself. I wish I could live for another 200 years to see all the great stuff still to come.
VR is really great and how cool will it be if we can participate a game as seen on the holodeck from star-trek.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6430.16 In reply to 6430.14 
I understand Michael. :) Or you could be the premiere VR modeling software and have a head start on the market. :D Anyways, as a user of MOI, you keep on what you're doing, just tossing out ideas. :) Cheers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All