classic rotate, scale, translate widgets?

Next
Would it be possible to add the classic rotate, scale, translate UI manipulators found in 3D software like Maya or C4D to Moi? For freeform modeling these would be much quicker to use than CAD-style three point rotation, two point scale/translate and so on.

thanks,

-d
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
643.2 In reply to 643.1 
Hi Dryriver, I do want to add these in (or something similar) for version 2.0.

For version 1.0 I wanted to make sure to get the CAD style ones in first because they allow for some types of accurate snapped manipulations that aren't really possible with the other style, there is an example here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=156.3

On the other hand the manipulator style is great for doing things quickly.

Initially I actually want to focus on a 2D type manipulator frame so that the ortho views can behave more like a 2D illustration program. You can get a preview of how I think this is going to work by inserting a background image in the current version. Go to View / Image, and push "Add" to add in an image background. While you are inside of the Image command the background images will have a ghosted grip frame around them that highlights if you move the mouse over a grip.

There are 4 corner grips to allow for scaling by dragging a corner, and also a rotation grip that has 2 modes - you can either click and drag on it to do a 2d rotation in the plane, or you can click and release on it to pull up a 3-axis rotation widget that lets you click and drag on any of the 3 circles to rotate around 3 different axes (click off of it to exit this mode).

That grip frame will at first apply to just planar objects, I'm not quite sure how it will extend to 3d objects yet. It possibly might take beyond version 2 for it to apply to 3d objects.

But I think it is important to handle 2D really well first before trying to jump into 3D manipulators. MoI has a lot more focus on 2D drawing than some of those other programs like Maya or C4D.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
643.3 In reply to 643.2 
I was wishing MOI had those 3D manipulators the other day as well...

Being able to move, scale or rotate without starting a "formal command" I believe would be much faster for a lot of stuff.

I do like the idea you mentioned, Michael about the Illustrator type "object boxes".

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
643.4 In reply to 643.3 
Hi Will, you wrote:

> Being able to move, scale or rotate without starting a "formal command" I
> believe would be much faster for a lot of stuff.

Actually, one of those - moving - is available now, just click and drag on an object to move it. You only need to use the formal Transform/Move command for some more specialized situations like moving by a displacement snapped on to some specific points.

Scaling and rotating are the missing quick ones right now...

(I bet you probably knew this, just wanted to clarify for others).

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All