MoI non-conventional use
All  1-2  3-5

Previous
Next
6413.3 In reply to 6413.1 
Hi Kevin,

> I realize that this is not the conventional use concept of MOI but I am hopeful that
> you can give some feedback about the concept and/or assist me in the development
> of one or more workflows to integrate/synthesize and modify geologic data and
> digitized expected surface interpretations.

I can try to help you, but my first reaction is that you probably need a more specialized kind of tool that's more focused on terrain handling to do that kind of stuff.

MoI is just not focused at all on many of the things that I think you'd need for this project - the overall modeling mechanism that it uses (NURBS surfaces) are more oriented towards man made type objects, stuff that generally has more broadly curved surfaces and not high frequency bumpy details in it. Usually shapes with that type of details in it are done using triangle mesh models and not NURBS surfaces. MoI is focused only on modeling using NURBS surfaces and not doing triangle mesh modeling, so it may just not be the right tool for the particular job that you require...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6413.4 In reply to 6413.3 
There are a few tools such as T-Splines or PowerNurbs that allow modification of a nurbs model based on an underlying mesh. Unfortunately, the underlying mesh is quite limited in size. Since your data probably has millions of polys, I doubt that these would be useful. There are also some very high end tools that can convert polys to nurbs, but once you have the nurbs model, you loose the plasticity that is possible with a polygonal model and so I don't believe that will help you either.

So my next suggestion would be to look at some type of polygonal modeler. Many allow you to make a selection of polys and feather the border strength of the selection, so that the selection can be moved and the borders of the selection will move less, or not at all depending on the strength. I believe there are some modelers that will allow you to generate a lower resolution version of your model that you could use to affect changes on the high resolution version.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6413.5 In reply to 6413.1 
Hi Kevin, yeah also like Chris mentions above usually polygon modelers have various kinds of deformation tools in them which may also better suit what you're describing as well. In particular polygon modeling systems that are also oriented towards producing animation often have a variety of different kinds of deforms.

That's again just another area where MoI is not really focused on what you're trying to do - the deformation tools in MoI are more limited, and although there have been some new stuff in that general area added for the upcoming V3 MoI release (with new Flow and Twist tools), it's still something that's more focused on more broadly curved or twisting shapes, not really on the kind of stuff that I think you're describing.

So again I think it's very likely that a polygon modeling system is a far better fit for what you're trying to accomplish.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-5