How to connect sweep with body surface?

Next
Hello,

how can I connect the sweep around the wing profile to the body below?

S
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6409.2 In reply to 6409.1 
Hi simba, the main way to connect pieces like that is to use boolean or trimming operations to slice the pieces up so they meet at a common joined edge, and then select that juncture edge and then use filleting to make a smoothed out connection piece.

That process is done in both the 6-legged pod and also the sunburst video tutorials here if you want to see some other examples:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/tutorials.htm

Your particular case here though is going to be more challenging both because of some of the way that it's fragmented into some little smaller surfaces and also because of the really sharp narrow corner on the trailing edge area of the wing. Both sharp areas and also little tiny sliver surfaces or edges tend to make for problems with filleting.

I'll see what I can do for your particular case, for more tricky things it can sometimes be more feasible to use Construct > Blend to make the connection pieces, that involves cutting away some openings and then using Blend to fill in the open area with a smooth connecting surface.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6409.3 In reply to 6409.1 
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6409.4 In reply to 6409.1 
Hi simba, also another thing that makes things more difficult for your case here is that the 2 pieces meet each other at a slightly sharp crease instead of actually being smooth there. That kind of slight sharpness is also not very good for filleting as it usually means the fillet surfaces do not naturally touch up to one another at that spot and some kind of corner juncture has to be created there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6409.5 In reply to 6409.1 
So for your case here the blend method would involve trimming away some area like this so there is some space between the pieces:

With this kind of empty space opened up between pieces you can then select edges like this:

And use Construct > Blend to build a smooth connecting surface between those like this:

However in your case here the quality of the base body piece is not too good and that will cause problems, specifically this edge here is actually a creased edge:

You can see the lack of smoothness a bit more clearly in a shaded only type view (here when doing a polygon export with "metallic lighting" style enabled):

So I'd recommend reconstructing that body piece to a higher quality smooth piece first before trying to do this type of blending - the problem is that the blends will not connect to each other well when they're built off of things that are creased to one another.

I'm not sure exactly how the body was constructed, but if it was done with sweep probably instead of only sweeping a half piece and mirroring that you should instead try to sweep the whole thing as one large piece, see here for some explanation of that:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1398.18
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1398.19

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thank you for the quick feedback!

Apparently a flat trim as mentioned in the referenced thread is the key to solve the problem. I am almost there.

S
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All