Speed modeling & rendering

Next
Did a quick test with my team today to try and show them how much MoI could speed up our workflow by putting together a simple scene from scratch to final render in less than 15 minutes (modeling, texturing, staging, lighting and rendering). Granted, it's a simple wheel/tire/rim model that's very suited to MoI (and one that I've taught to a multitude of interns) but the team were suitably impressed by MoI's fantastic modeling workflow.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6380.2 In reply to 6380.1 
That's a great exercise Jon! Yeah making it really quick and easy to produce simple things is one of the core ideas that MoI is about.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6380.3 In reply to 6380.2 
Cheers Michael.

The more I use MoI, the more I'm able to identify the tasks that it will excel at and the less I think about any particular 'bells and whistles' it may currently be missing.

There's a definite Zenness about the whole MoI experience...

:)

jm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6380.4 In reply to 6380.3 
Hi Jon,

> The more I use MoI, the more I'm able to identify the tasks that it will excel at and the less
> I think about any particular 'bells and whistles' it may currently be missing.

Yeah as you get more and more comfortable with it, your speed level will also go up even some more as well.

Knowing what projects are a good fit for it is definitely a good thing to think about.

> There's a definite Zenness about the whole MoI experience...

The same kind of thing also makes for a sort of "modeling is fun" feeling as well.

One interesting thing is this aspect of streamlined operation and fast and fluid use tends to helpful for beginners, but also being able to do simple stuff really quickly and easily can also be helpful to advanced users as well, particularly for early stage concept modeling type stuff.

I'm glad that it's clicking well with you!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6380.5 In reply to 6380.4 
Then if you need 10,000 commands and a trillion add-ons, you get Rhino and use copy and paste between the viewports, keeping MoI as home base. :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6380.6 In reply to 6380.4 
Rapid prototyping/concept modeling is something we're very well known for at IDEO so MoI is definitely a good fit.

As I think I mentioned in my very first post here (and I feel this to a greater degree now that I've become more accustomed to MoI), the workflow reminds me a lot of Sketchup. They're very different products that deliver very different results but they both enable an individual to rapidly rough out ideas whilst maintaining CAD accuracy.

We'll definitely be purchasing when V3 is released (and probably a license or two of 2.52 in the new year).

As for modelling being fun, I'm one of those sad suckers who finds it all fun - complex & detailed or fluid & simple, it's always the end result that provides the buzz. :)

jm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow 15 minutes is really impressive, great work.
MoI really excels at these simple one object things.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6380.8 In reply to 6380.7 
The same model would take twice as long in Rhino and in a poly modeler well over an hour.

I was obviously able to take a few shortcuts on the rendering and lighting by using a sIBL HDRI setup - all software, editors, loaders & HDRI's available for free download here - http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

And the texturing is based on material presets I'd made in the past but the core of the work was the modeling and that's where MoI's fluid workflow makes this kind of project achievable in such a small timeframe.

As long as you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve, MoI's fluid workflow helps you get there in such a friction free manner.

jm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All