memory: when should i start to be scared?

Next
Hi again, since moi is 32bit, when should I start to be scared of the possibility to run out of memory? Til now, my file is 70MB. Mostly is made of lines, and solid objects. Its working very fine now, but what is more or less the limit in size I should pay attention for?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
6376.2 In reply to 6376.1 
Hi max, well there is not really an exact one-to-one correspondence from file size to the amount of memory that the file will take up at runtime. That's because at runtime various other things need to be calculated for the display like display meshes. Display meshes on tightly curved surfaces take up more memory at runtime than flat surfaces.

So if you're concerned about it, you would want to go into Task Manager and see how much memory MoI.exe is taking up, if that gets up to around 3GB then that's when you should start to try to separate things out into different projects.

You are probably a long ways from that with a 70MB file though, especially if it's mostly line data that probably isn't going to be consuming a lot of extra stuff for display purposes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All