MoI used in ID studios?

Next
Are there examples of MoI being used in ID studios?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6355.2 In reply to 6355.1 
Hi Playdo, you can probably find some examples in the gallery:
http://moi3d.com/gallery/

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm only a budding ID here, and know nothing of the real world but,
from what I've noticed, there are many levels employed in the ID process:

You'll notice on Coroflot and other job sites; that along side the more heavyweights like SolidWorks, you'll see "Rhino" mentioned a lot as a desired software skill. Why?

What you'll really see at the core is that good skills in old-fashioned sketching (whether by pencil or electronic means) is still heavily desired - along with "ideation" skills.

The ability to conceptualize the form of a product with clear, unencumbered dexterity in an expedient manner...

I'm assuming that MoI would be a very good choice for the initial creative process of design. - it's NURBS library is Rhino-compatible anyways!

If a program can help you more fluidly bring ideas to life without the cumbersome machinations of a laden UI to slow your creative process, then any good studio worth its salt may consider MoI.

But like I said, there are many levels to the creation process - let the structural/machining engineers on floor-2 use the SolidWorks and CNC software to figure out the drafts, ribs, stress-points, nooks and crannies of the product casing thought up by the Rhino/MoI/C4D "ideation" artists on floor-3.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Usually Studio take the approach of what would be easier to create the model they need with what software.

Take an example of Spider-Man with Tobey McGuire, they use Rhino to model the glider for the Green Goblin and others software for other part of the movie.

I got a book about it at home that explain what they need and what they use.

Denis
| CorelDraw Grahics Suite X6 | Moi 3D V2 | Carrara 8.5 Pro | Cinema 4D R15 |

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6355.5 In reply to 6355.4 
I would agree with what has been said above. You have to talk about a pipeline, not a single piece of software. My traditional route, for example, would have been:

Rhino(Modeling) -> ZBrush/Mudbox(Texturing + Finishing) -> Maya(Animation/Rendering)

I actually discovered MoI due to its rather awesome mesh generation. I had Maya artists going nuts with the .obj files generated from old versions of Rhino, MoI fixed that - then I started playing in the MoI modeler and found that I could work almost twice as fast as in Rhino, and even work on my tablet. More recently I moved from working exclusively in the film industry into a small industrial design startup. Now there is more emphasis on fast renders and 3D printing/CAM. This is my current pipeline:

MoI(Concept/Initial Model) -> Rhino(Finishing, Render) -> MoI(Mesh Generation/3D Print) -> Rhino(CAM generation)

I can't express how powerful this simple pairing of software (MoI + Rhino) is. Now that there is a decent and fast render engine inside of Rhino (Brazil + Neon) I don't need Maya (which required a time investment to get a good render and is still very overpriced). I can cut and paste and move back and forth seamlessly between MoI and Rhino.

MoI excels in areas where Rhino is a bit deficient (UI, for example), and Rhino has an expanded feature set that covers rendering and parametric design (Grasshopper), as well as old-school scripting with Python/Rhinoscript.

All that said, depending on the industries you work with people will often have a preference for Solidworks or Catia. Personally, I hate them.

-FDP
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6355.6 In reply to 6355.5 
I'm in 100% agreement here. Most ID studios these days have taken on the 'pipeline' methods of the entertainment industry with a suite of tools. The components of that pipeline will differ studio to studio but MoI is very suited to most pipelines as it's finely tuned to it's task and is focused on being an intuitive, delightful user experience. The UX aspect of MoI would count for nothing though if it didn't have such high quality IO options which enable reliable pipeline communications with both CAD/CAM toolsets and poly creation suites such as Max, Maya & C4D. MoI obviously has the tightest relationship with Rhino as it shares a lot of the same DNA (quite literally seeing as Rhino is based upon a college project Michael built in the early nineties called Sculptura) so they make perfect bedfellows.

jm
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Sorry what is ID ?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6355.8 In reply to 6355.7 
Interior Design ?

Leonardo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6355.9 In reply to 6355.7 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Industrial Design. Anything that is mass-produced, used, bought, sold, etc has to be designed.

And a good site to get an idea on what it's all about is the Core77 blog.

http://www.core77.com/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thx for the Info
In French that is identity! ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All