Snow Leopard 10.9 problem

Next
After updated 10.6.8 (snow leopard) to 10.9
Moi's file Dialog appears and disapear as soon as !
So no possibility to Open or Import any file!

Have you some ideas about this problem?
There is only one monitor!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.2 In reply to 6354.1 
Hi Pilou, over here I'm not able to reproduce this problem, I see the file dialog normally.

Is the app installed in the Applications directory or is it possibly in some other path?

Are there possibly any unusual permissions set on the /tmp directory?

Any anti-virus programs or extra low level system utilities running?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.3 In reply to 6354.1 
Also was it an "in place" upgrade from 10.6.8 to 10.9 ?

They might try doing a fresh install of 10.9 onto a blank partition, and see if a fresh install works ok for them.

Maybe some part of the in place conversion process left some permissions in a bad state or something like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.4 In reply to 6354.1 
I don't have the same specific problem as you, but there is for sure something strange with the Dialog as this problem occurs through-out. My problem is that the file indexing seems to be dropped and re-cached every time that the Dialog is used. It might be a related problem. Have you tried letting it stand for a few minutes to see if it re-appears ?

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.5 In reply to 6354.4 
Hi Martin, what does the dropped indexing mean specifically, is the operating system slow to populate the dialog with directories and files?

Are you running any virus checker or other type of low level system utilities?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
<<< Is the app installed in the Applications directory or is it possibly in some other path?

Yes in Applications

<<< Are there possibly any unusual permissions set on the /tmp directory?

Don't know, make reparation of the permissions without success

<<< Any anti-virus programs or extra low level system utilities running?
Yes, I will deconnect it for new test
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
<<<< I don't have the same specific problem as you, but there is for sure something strange with the Dialog as this problem occurs through-out. My problem is that the file indexing seems to be dropped and re-cached every time that the Dialog is used. It might be a related problem. Have you tried letting it stand for a few minutes to see if it re-appears ?

Dialog box is well openning but don't give the time to choice a file (any place is it, test, desktop or user directory), dialog box is closing.
Apprently dialog box is well closing and is not hidden behind the MOi Ui.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.8 In reply to 6354.5 
Hi Michael, the dialog fills with directories/folder immediately on opening, but then it takes an age to populate the view with files, and the bottom left of the dialog displays the busy icon spinning away nicely. Once it's populated all is fine, but close the dialog and do some more work, ready for incremental save, so save as, dialog opens and it has lost the files again.

Finder does not have this issue, just the open/save/import dialogs. This issue happens with all apps and is not MoI specific, it's an Apple issue, but might be related to the slow launching of MoI, which also happens here, but i am not too worried in loosing a few seconds a day :)

No I don't use any low level utilities on Mavericks and it was also a clean install and not an upgrade.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.9 In reply to 6354.8 
Hi Martin, re: slow startup, you might see if you have a whole bunch of extra prefs files as described here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5858.1

re: dialog is slow to fill with files - yeah that's not something that MoI itself has any control over, that's a native operating system dialog doing all the work in that case.

If it happens to all apps then maybe there is something about your setup that is just not handled very well by Apple, do you have some folders showing in the dialog that are network shares or anything similar to that instead of just stuff right on your local hard drive?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.10 In reply to 6354.9 
Hi Michael - No extra prefs here, no networked drives, i am just going to remove Xquartz just incase that's bothering things :)

Martin Spencer-Ford

**Edit: Xquartz removed and the problem persists. MoI was slower to open without it, but once it had been launched, and a few web pages visited, and KeyShot launch etc, opening MoI was back to like 3 seconds or so. The file I/O dialog still suffers though no matter how many times it's used. I am not that bothered, it slows things down a little but it's stable and consistent and that's more important to me.

EDITED: 11 Dec 2013 by TPWUK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.11 In reply to 6354.10 
Hi Martin, do you mean your slow launch problem is that it takes around 3 seconds for it to launch? I guess that's a little slower than "instant", but kind of not all that slow in the whole scheme of things. When you were referring to slow launch time I thought you meant something like a minute or so to launch, not just 3 seconds... If you want to speed up that 3 second launch time it maybe you could upgrade your system to have a SSD drive if you do not already.

I don't know what I can do about the slow file dialog problem, especially if it happens in other apps too. I don't think that's supposed to be normal though... Do you maybe have a whole lot of files in the directory that it opens up on to?

Looking a bit on the web I can see some others have had similar problems:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/12356893#12356893
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5495797?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492808?start=15&tstart=0

There are some tips in those discussions you could try - some people mentioned that a failing hard drive or some kind of drive corruption might cause that. If you have some external USB hard drives maybe try unplugging those and see if things behave better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A trick from the French guy Pabra
Not a total resolve but...
About the dialog Box
It's a problem of refreshing - filling of the dialog box!
Moi has not the time to explore directories and stock them in memory!

So (in any view of Moi ) open one time the file menu Export
the Dialog box apears disapears
then it's the trick (in any view of Moi )
move the mouse over the selected object
right click on it and the Dialog box apears disapears, after 3 - 4 times of this view "right click method"
it's becoming stable because directories are now checked and input the memory!
Not very practicle but that works and you can now import, export etc..

There is maybe a file system who manage tempo of the dialog boxes on MAC?

EDITED: 12 Dec 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.13 In reply to 6354.11 
Good morning Michael ...

>> Hi Martin, do you mean your slow launch problem is that it takes around 3 seconds for it to launch? I guess that's a little slower than "instant", but kind of not all that slow in the whole scheme of things. When you were referring to slow launch time I thought you meant something like a minute or so to launch, not just 3 seconds... If you want to speed up that 3 second launch time it maybe you could upgrade your system to have a SSD drive if you do not already. <<

I am not worried about a 3 second launch time, what i was trying to get across was that after removing XQuartz, MoI on first launch took quiet some time before it was displayed. which is fine and understandable. Every launch there-after is a lot quicker, with MoI appearing in something like 3 seconds on a standard SATA drive. I have looked into the SSD side of things but read that they are great to start with but soon slow down after a while although I am liking the PCIe which have capacities that a lot more interesting but the storage per buck is very off putting.>> I don't know what I can do about the slow file dialog problem, especially if it happens in other apps too. I don't think that's supposed to be normal though... Do you maybe have a whole lot of files in the directory that it opens up on to? <<

There's nothing you can do about that issue Michael, it's not a MoI thing, like i said it happens with any app, other than Finder, which suggests it might be using old QT elements or something that have now been dropped, it's annoying, but not devastating and does not stop the work from being completed.

From the links provided https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5495797?start=30&tstart=0 this one has the fix .... Many thanks. As i thought Apple problem nothing else, lol. The price we pay for being early adopters, you take the bugs that have not been properly ironed out.

Many thanks Michael - Another brownie point for you, you really do offer a level of support above and beyond what is your responsibility, simply amazing!!

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6354.14 In reply to 6354.13 
Hi Martin, I'm glad that you found a fix for the slow file dialog problem!

It sounds like the problem did have something to do with things trying to access network shares, maybe even if you had not specifically set that up yourself.

@Pilou - you might tell Pabra about that same thing:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5495797?start=30&tstart=0

maybe the same fix will help him as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6354.15 In reply to 6354.14 
It's a programming or scripting goof by an Apple developer. There is no network here, single stand alone PC. It's just been setup to look for networked drives/services by default but then doesn't alter the state if it does not find any. What's really bad with this is that Apple must have known about this issue during beta testing phase or RC stage and have not fixed it. Here's looking forward to 10.9.1 or maybe one more - lol. I am just grateful your diligence to customer support found me a fix, it's an early Christmas pressie for me, so thank you again.

Martin Spencer-Ford
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All