Removing Extra Edges

Next
How do I remove these edges?

Is there any script for rebuilding surfaces/solids like rebuild curve command?

I attached the file as well. Thanks in advance.

- Evren
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.2 In reply to 6345.1 
May be these lines came from one corner-point (to see superposed points) on your strokes.
So 2 solutions: To reconstruct (Ctrl R) your stroke, and to verify to have only curve-points; or you can add curve point on the stroke, then delete the corner point.

In your file .3dm, there is no strokes of construction, so we cannot delete these lines. Generally to don't meet this kind of problem, we keep all the lines of construction. A trick: you select all the lines of one objet (or more), you give a name like "myobjet_fils (strings, lines, or what you want), then you hide these lines. The lines are useful if you want to change the curves on your objet for any reason, or if you want rebuilt it, without lost time.

Good MoI

PS. That make me think to a function that you will be good to find in MoI: The possibility to convert a corner-point to a curve-point, and vice-versa.
And another one that misses terribly in MoI: to make one group with associated objets.

EDITED: 8 Dec 2013 by BFM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.3 In reply to 6345.1 
Hi Evren,

> Is there any script for rebuilding surfaces/solids like rebuild curve command?

No, not currently.

Why is it that you want to remove those edges in the first place? Is there a specific goal you have in mind?

It looks like your object there was created by using Sweep - on a path curve made up of multiple segments, Sweep will generate one surface segment to match each segment of the joined path curve.

If you want to avoid that kind of segmentation from being created you need to make your rail path curve to be one single long segment itself rather than being made up of multiple segments. The curve rebuild command can be useful for that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.4 In reply to 6345.3 
> Why is it that you want to remove those edges in the first place? Is there a specific goal you have in mind?

Vector output. Those vertical edges are not meant to be seen.

I actually did not model it myself. It's an internal screw thread generated with boltgen for rhino. I wanted to modify it for adding few more threads so I split the surface and added 3 more threads but now I can't get rid of those edges.

So let me ask like this; How do I add more threads to the attached model?
- Evren
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.5 In reply to 6345.4 
Hi Evren,

> Vector output. Those vertical edges are not meant to be seen.

I was going to say you should just hide the edges then, but it looks like currently the hidden line generation still exports them. I'll see about changing that for the next v3 beta so that if you hide an edge it won't be part of the vector output.

In the meantime probably the easiest solution would be to put those particular edges on their own separate style, then you might be able to target them as a set in your vector editor to delete them.

> So let me ask like this; How do I add more threads to the attached model?

If you want it without any edges you'd need to redo it with boltgen with more threads created right initially for it.

For doing it to the object after it's already been built, the way you did it before would be how to add threads but you will not be able to remove those edges if you use that method, instead of trying to remove the edges from the 3D model you would probably want to delete them from the vector result instead.

I suppose it could be possible to kind of reverse engineer the path and the sweep profile from your extended model by extracting some edges and rebuilding things, then build a long sweep yourself. It would be easier to try and delete stuff from the vector results instead though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.6 In reply to 6345.5 
Thanks for your suggestions Michael. I could not regenerate it with BoltGen because it's only creating standard sized internal threads, you can't define length.

However I did some modifications and got rid of those edges.

In the future, some tool which removes unnecessary lines would be helpful for such occations, don't you think? I attached a file. There's a solid box and there are some intersecting lines on the box which contributes nothing to the shape definition. A tool should find those lines/points and remove them and rebuild the shape.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.7 In reply to 6345.6 
Hi Evren,

> In the future, some tool which removes unnecessary lines would be helpful for such occations, don't you think?

There is some of that function currently in boolean union, when doing a union edges between 2 planes or between 2 pieces that are trimmed portions that share the same full "underlying surface" will be removed.

But edges just by themselves can't really be removed - in order to remove an edge that's on a trim boundary between 2 surfaces those 2 surfaces have to be merged together into one single surface. This can be difficult to do in cases where the control point grids UV directions do not align with one another.

> I attached a file. There's a solid box and there are some intersecting lines on the box which contributes nothing to the shape definition.
> A tool should find those lines/points and remove them and rebuild the shape.

There are a couple of different ways you can fix your example file here - one way is to select the fragmented pieces making up one side and delete them, leaving a hole. Then select the main shape and run Construct > Planar to fill in that planar hole with a capping plane. Repeat on the other side and you'll have your fixed shape.

Another way to tune up your box there is to use Edit > Separate to break it into individual surfaces, then run Boolean Union on the pieces, you'll then get a box with those in between edges removed.

In the future I do also want to extend the Merge command to be able to merge selected faces together. Like I mentioned before though it involves a fusing together of surfaces, not just removal of an edge and it's a bit tricky to make it work well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6345.8 In reply to 6345.6 
Really the main thing to do is not to construct an object like you've got there in the first place. If you have a planar hole to fill in, use Construct > Planar to build a big trimmed plane for it rather than building a bunch of little fragmented pieces...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Evren -

Have you tried Martin's MoI Thread Script? It works well.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5451.40

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Michael,

> There is some of that function currently in boolean union, when doing a union edges between 2 planes or between 2 pieces that are trimmed portions that share the same full "underlying surface" will be removed.

I wasn't aware of that boolean union's feature. Nice one. Thank you!!

> In the future I do also want to extend the Merge command to be able to merge selected faces together. Like I mentioned before though it involves a fusing together of surfaces, not just removal of an edge and it's a bit tricky to make it work well.

Yes, merge faces would be an awesome addition.

ed,

Yes I'm aware of Martin's script as well. It's a useful script but I think it does not do internal threads and you can't simply boolean difference an external thread because internal threads are a little bit different structure like this:

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All