Blending a cylinder to a free form surface

Next
Today I'm teaching myself the blend command. Right now I cant seem to get any results. I did watch a video tutorial a few days back on blending and now I cant find it.

Here's the deal. I was just trying to get a curved fillet and not a straight one. I can use loft just fine between surfaces. I did join the the opening (lines) on the free form object.

I also did the sweep around the opening on the free form to make it larger.

Do the two objects have to have a similar profile to be able to join with blend or do I use another command? I think at one time I had it that way and it didn't work.

I don't know, I may just be missing a step.

The image is showing lofting.
Image Attachments:
Size: 246.7 KB, Downloaded: 39 times, Dimensions: 1292x981px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6319.2 In reply to 6319.1 
Blending is done with edges, not with the curves which may overlay the edges.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6319.3 In reply to 6319.1 
Hi william, it helps a lot if you can post a 3DM model file instead of just a screenshot. That then makes it possible to analyze things about the model that really can't be seen just in a screenshot alone.

But probably like Brian mentions above, you may be selecting curve objects when trying to do the blend. You need to select an unattached edge curve for the kind of blend you're doing instead of a "standalone" curve object.

If you have any construction curves overlapping those same areas you are trying to blend, select the curves and delete or hide them to get them out of the way so that you can select the edges instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6319.4 In reply to 6319.3 
Thanks guys,

Michael, I just watched the tail end of one of your videos and all I had to do was union and fillet. I don't know why I thought it was the blend command. I now see how it works too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All