Selecting objects of selected layer only

Next
Hi there,
is there a script which allows the user to select only the objects of the selected layer? I'm talking about maybe a sort of "lock with memory", locking all the other layers except the selected one, so I can marquee part of the current layer without worrying about selecting other stuff. Pressing for example L, selecting what I need, then pressing L again and going back to the previous state? Not talking about isolating because I would like to see the other layers while I do the selection.
Thanks very much.
Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6310.2 In reply to 6310.1 
Hi Max, you can do that by setting a selection filter - that will restrict selection actions to only work on the filtered items.

To set the selection filter, go to the Styles section of the Scene browser, and hold down the Ctrl key and click on the right-hand side of the item, right where the selection indicator dot is at. See here for a screenshot of where to click: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4438.21

When you do the Ctrl + click on that spot a little filter icon will appear on that item. While that filter is active any kind of selection action you do including window selection, select all, etc... will only target the filtered items.

When you're done doing the targeted selection either Ctrl + click on it again or just press Escape once to clear the current filter.

You can also set multiple filters including across different sections of the scene browser, like for example you can set a filter on Types > Curves, as well as on a style, so that when you window select after that you will only then be targeting curves on that style and not surfaces or solids on that style.

Hope that helps,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6310.3 In reply to 6310.1 
Also one thing to note about the selection filter - it restricts what is targeted by any further selection actions after that, it does not deselect anything that is already currently selected.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 6310.4 deleted 28 Nov 2013 by MILKYWAIF

Previous
Next
6310.5 In reply to 6310.2 
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It was exactly what I needed.
M.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Cool

I didn't know you could do this, works great.

A very handy tip.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All