Shortcut key command scripting
All  1  2-13

Previous
Next
6309.2 In reply to 6309.1 
There's a setting in moi.ini which is called "CommandLineTypeTextEntry"

Default value is n
If you change it to y (CommandLineTypeTextEntry=y) anything you type will be treated as if you're typing in commands

For example let's say you have a script in \commands directory called. rt.js
Typing rt and hitting enter will execute that script.

You have to be careful though. If you have r assigned as shortcut key for something else in "options/shortcut keys", it will be executed before you even type t letter.

However you can keep CommandLineTypeTextEntry=n and still achieve same result with an extra key (Tab key) so you dont have to worry about shortcut key conflictions.

It'll be like this; you'll hit "Tab" key which will activate mini command line, you'll type "rt" and hit "Enter".
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.3 In reply to 6309.1 
Hi william,

> Rotate would be R or RT
> Revolve would be RV
> Rectangle would be RC or REC

So do you mean you want to just type RT just by itself and not RT [Enter] ?

Right now there isn't any way set up for doing that kind of "keystroke sequence" type of thing, the current way shortcut keys work is just by a single keystroke. You can have modifier keys like shift or alt but they have to be held down at the same time as the triggering keystroke.

Doing a sequence of keys is kind of tricky because it has to involve stuff like waiting for a certain period of time after you press R to determine if you were actually doing a plain R or whether that was only the first key in a sequence.

I would like to add a sequence mechanism in the future but I don't know when that will happen. Overall this kind of highly detailed key driven type approach just has not been a focus area.

If you want to do something like RT [Enter] instead of just plain RT, then you could take whatever command you wanted to make for RT and copy its .js and .htm to be named RT.js and RT.htm as new files in the \commands folder, then that will make a new command named RT available which you can run by command line entry as mentioned above. I'm not so sure that this is a good idea to do a whole lot of this though since you'll be making copies of a lot of commands and you'll need to redo all those copies every time a new beta release comes out.

There is also another setting in moi.ini, under [UI]:
[UI]
TreatSpaceAsEnter=n

If you set that to =y then you can push the space bar for an equivalent to pushing Enter, it can be easier to hit on the left side.

I'd really recommend just using the regular mouse click buttons for most things though like revolve for example. Only put in shortcut keys for things that you are really using very frequently, not just every single command.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.4 In reply to 6309.2 
Thanks milkywaif,

>If you change it to y (CommandLineTypeTextEntry=y) anything you type will be treated as if you're typing in commands

I'll take a look at this.

>You have to be careful though. If you have r assigned as shortcut key for something else in "options/shortcut keys", it will be executed before you even type t letter.

Yes, I figured that out pretty quickly. I wish it didn't happen that way.

>However you can keep CommandLineTypeTextEntry=n and still achieve same result with an extra key (Tab key) so you dont have to worry about shortcut key conflictions.

I was trying to stay away from using any modifiers. However this is not a bad idea.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.5 In reply to 6309.3 
Michael,

>So do you mean you want to just type RT just by itself and not RT [Enter]

Yes, I failed to mention the [enter] part. It's the way I currently work in AutoCAD. The thumb rests on the space bar.

>There is also another setting in moi.ini, under [UI]:
>[UI]... TreatSpaceAsEnter=n

I have already changed that to y. I like it!

>I'd really recommend just using the regular mouse click buttons for most things though like revolve for example. Only put in shortcut keys for things that you are really >using very frequently, not just every single command.

This was my intention. Just some basic commands such as line, extrude, rotate, etc. I would still use the toolbars too as needed.

Your side panel layout is a fantastic functioning design. Not having the toolbars fly out into the screen and using the overlay feature for commands is a first. I'm amazed that other software companies have not tried to take this from you. The latest version of Rhino could benefit from it. Their new tab layout helps with some of the complexity of its UI.

I HOPE your UI stays in place. It's easy to use!

I'll try copying a .js and .htm file and see what I can do. I know exactly what you are saying about updating to new software versions.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.6 In reply to 6309.5 
I need to clarify something about my comments on shortcut keys. Just my thoughts. :)

You may be asking why not just use single characters for commands. Well, with a variety of commands that start with the same letter, it makes it difficult. You have to be creative with character combinations, but its a really efficient way of working.

With the hand on the left side of the keyboard for entering shortcut commands and using the spacebar as enter, it only makes sense to use the keyboard as if you were typing a letter, etc. The modifier keys are somewhat out of reach and awkward at times. Hitting Shift+Alt+P is not an efficient way of working.

Here are some examples, but are somewhat outside of using their first character. These allow you to work without looking down for keys.

ST=line
STT=pline
RT=rotate
RV=revolve

If you look at where L is for line on the keyboard you would most likely have to look away from the screen. With Pline its the same. P and L on the keyboard is a bit odd for the left hand. The ST was an alternative for (straight).

These may seem strange, but it allows the left hand stay put and you work from left to right. After each you hit the spacebar.

AutoCAD has figured out how to let the user keep things simple by simply using the alphabet on the keyboard. You can use a single character, two, or three. Modifiers are a strange way of working. It is easier to remember L for line then it is to remember Shift+Alt+L or any combination of that. Look at the spacing of the keys.

Again, just my thoughts. :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.7 In reply to 6309.5 
Hi william, if you're willing to hit enter or space at the end, that's kind of easier for me to do something about.

I've been meaning to have a "command alias" type mechanism for a while, that's probably a lot easier for me to add than the multi-key sequence thing.

I'll see about adding in some kind of basic alias mechanism for the next v3 beta that will allow you to make a list of shortened names that will work in place of a longer name when you're typing in a command name.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.8 In reply to 6309.5 
>Yes, I failed to mention the [enter] part. It's the way I currently work in AutoCAD. The thumb rests on the space bar.

>There is also another setting in moi.ini, under [UI]:
>[UI]... TreatSpaceAsEnter=n

>I have already changed that to y. I like it!

One little thing I noticed about "space".
Let's say you want to create a point at x=5 y=7 z=2
Normally you would type "tab" 5 "space" 7 "space" 2 "space" "enter"
But since you altered space key which works as enter you can't use space there.
Luckily Michael thought this possibility and you can use "comma" key instead of space there.
With your workflow, it's gonna be like this: 5 "comma" 7 "comma" 2 "comma" "space"
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.9 In reply to 6309.8 
Thanks milkywaif, I was wondering why that was set to n. I will look into this now that you have pointed it out.

I just read about Michael's vision for his software and the use of the pen tablet. I, on the other hand, have been going on and on about shortcuts for the keyboard. I'm kinda going against his vision, I think. I have been looking at pen tablets over the past few months and would be interested in using MoI on a tablet. Right now my laptop cant handle the larger 3D packages (anything AutoDesk, Rhino, etc.). Also, using modifier keys on the laptop is extremely difficult for people with larger hands.

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks has a free 2D CAD program called DraftSight. I use it a great deal on the laptop and under User/Preferences the command alias are listed. It's a good example that shows the commands without the modifier keys. It helps on a small keyboard. I don't expect Micheal to change his vision. I was sort of looking for something I could do on my own. I didn't know if it was possible.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.10 In reply to 6309.9 
Hi william,

> I just read about Michael's vision for his software and the use of the pen tablet. I, on
> the other hand, have been going on and on about shortcuts for the keyboard. I'm kinda
> going against his vision, I think.

Even though the tablet focus was the original vision for the software, it's become less of a specific focus as time has gone on, just because more people are interested in just the more general "ease of use" type aspect. There are more people using MoI with a mouse than with a tablet.

> I have been looking at pen tablets over the past few months and would be interested
> in using MoI on a tablet.

There may not be much of a reason to get a tablet if you are not already used to using one. MoI's tablet stuff isn't about special things that are only activated when you use a tablet, it's more that the UI is designed so it's not painful to use when you're on a tablet (which is frequently the case with a lot of software).

If you have previously spent a lot of time drawing then possibly a tablet would feel comfortable for you. If you've already spent most of your time using a mouse it may be pretty awkward.

So it's not that you _need_ to have a tablet to use MoI, it's just that if you are already using a tablet, MoI can work well with it. It works fine with a mouse too though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.11 In reply to 6309.10 
> Even though the tablet focus was the original vision for the software, it's become less of a specific focus as time has gone on, just because more people are interested in just the more general "ease of use" type aspect. There are more people using MoI with a mouse than with a tablet.

I have a wacom intuos tablet. To be honest, I didn't even try it once with MoI. :)
Mouse + keyboard has always been easier, more comfortable for me with 3d programs. On the other hand, tablet is a must have for painting/texturing/sculpting purposes. My two cents...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6309.12 In reply to 6309.11 
But try to draw a "free curve" with the tablet and Moi!
You cand keep your artist free hand!
It's more easy than the mouse :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6309.13 In reply to 6309.12 
Pilou, I agree.

I still think the pen tablet is a fantastic idea. The 3D software on the market is still too large for laptops. They work, but are slow. MoI seems ideal for the laptop and pen tablet. :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-13