Exporting MoI model to Aspire4

Next
Today I succesfully used MoI to create a base for a light fixture, which acts as a spacer, for mounting the light on a brick wall.
PDF export was handy to help assure the size, and setup.
The Adobe Reader printing software portion decided to shrink the printing to 94%, so I had to check the custom scale button,
and put in 100%, to get an actual size print.
I previously noticed that the 3d bracket shoud be located in the 1st quadrant of the screen, near the X and Y axi, in order for the object
to be printed on the paper.

The .obj export was imported into Aspire, and gcode toolpaths formed, which is made fairly easy by watching their tutorial, and re-doing
the steps about a dozen times. The gcode ran fine in Mach3 on the Joes evolution CNC, to make 4 base copies.

Also drew up copies of 4 limit switch mounting brackets in MoI, and did .obj export to Aspire.
There was a problem creating the toolpaths for some of the 1/8th inch holes, (.0625" radius), apparently the .obj export
made some of the round holes, (but not all of them,) too much smaller and irregular, for a 1/8" drill tool in Aspire.
It seems that the .obj hole sizes were then smaller than the drill size, and so were not selected by Aspire.
Aspire does an on screen simulation of the routing of the parts.
The problem was solved by increasing the radius to 0.066, and also changing the obj mesh angle to 8. ( --- not sure of difference of going from 12 to 8 ). Will try cutting them out tomorrow, out of plexiglass acrylic.
- Brian

Aspire accepts Rhino mesh .3dm, but not MoI nurbs .3dm.
The .obj or .stl exports work, and even dxf.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6302.2 In reply to 6302.1 
Great use for MoI, Brian!

It would be cool to see some photos of your cut pieces when you do them.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not wanting to 'rain on your parade', Brian, but they are 2D parts and you'd be far better off exporting the curve data from MoI into Aspire and using it to make the parts.

They will come out exactly to size (within the limits of your machine) as well being quicker to cut. You only need to use solid models when you're cutting curvy objects such as aircraft and computer mice etc.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you Michael and Martin.
I'll try out some 2d curves also. I'll have to watch another tutorial.
- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6302.5 In reply to 6302.4 
Brian,

I'll second Martin's comments. Firstly, I use MOI for virtually all of my modelling. I too use Vectric products (VCarve, after upgrading from Cut 2D, and Cut 3D) for all of my tool paths. I only use Cut 3D (STL exports from MOI) for true 3D shapes. If I have a 3D object (think acoustic guitar bridge) that requires holes, I'll export an .AI or PDF (MOI Ver 3 requires PDF I believe) with that data to VCarve and cut those tool paths after the 3D paths, usually. Just use silhouette to extract an outline of your object and use the same origin point that you used when you generated your 3D tool paths when you create your 2D paths and everything should line up. Things like pockets that don't go all the way through your work piece are trickier (use boolean difference to bisect the feature you're trying to cut, assuming it has a flat bottom, to get its depth measured from the top of your machine table), but I've found that the improved cut results are worth the effort. Also, sometimes my 3D final profile cut out results are kind of ugly when I run the tool paths in Cut 3D. I've learned to scale up my model by ~1/32" when possible then use the original silhouette to create the final cutout in VCarve and the edges are nice and crisp. Hope that helps, and good luck with the limit switches. They are still on my to do list.

Bob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A couple of low-resolution pictures of routed brackets and light base.
The masonite brackets were test cuts, due to the rudimentary and incomplete state of the CNC.
(Still need dust shoe, clamps, z-zero, xy corner zero, etc.) The double back carpet tape was a temporary method.

For these very simple shapes, using a MoI pdf of the 2d curves, to import the vectors into Aspire IS easier than importing the 3d model.

- Brian

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6302.7 In reply to 6302.6 
Looks like things are coming along well Brian, thanks for posting the pics!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In order to ease the selection of the proper set of vectors in Aspire, so as to create two different toolpaths, it is helpful to save two different PDF versions from one MoI drawing.

The CNC spoilboards are attached by 48 bolts, with 1/4 inch holes, and 5/8 inch diameter countersinks.
The curve vectors for the 1/4 inch holes are circles in MoI, with style set to Blue.
The curve vectors for the 5/8 inch countersinks are also circles in MoI, with style set to Red.

Using Top View in MoI:
Hide the Red circles, and save the Blue circles to BlueHoleVectors.PDF.
Hide the Blue circles, then unHide and save the Red circles to RedCountersinkVectors.PDF

In Aspire:
Import the BlueHoleVectors.PDF into Aspire to one Layer.
Import the RedCountersinkVectors.PDF into Aspire to another Layer.
Hide the Red Layer, then select the Blue circles with a mouse selection box, and create the DrillBlueHoles toolpath.
Hide the Blue Layer, then unHide the Red Layer, select the Red circles with a mouse selection box, and create the PocketRedCountersinks toolpath.

This method avoids having to individually select 96 curves by clicking on them.

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@ Brian -

Those parts turned out really nice.

Off topic question:

I have a CNC Mill, but with only 2" of X travel. It's for jewelry only and very precise. With a rotary table occupying the X table I can't use it for other purposes.

Are you open to fabricating one-off small 2D pieces in plexiglass or Delrin if the MoI drawing is provided?

If so we can connect offline for details. I'm near Seattle.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6302.10 In reply to 6302.9 
Sorry Ed, I'm not in the business, just a hobbyist :-)

- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All