stl export
All  1-6  7-10

Previous
Next
630.7 In reply to 630.6 
Hi Michael,

I too have had a similar problem with exporting STL from MoI over the last two Betas, but I'd just thought it was me?
Has there been some kind of "tuning" of the STL export that has now changed the way that it used to work??

Previously, I'd create a ring design & then add supports for milling, but I didn't need to join them together.
Now what I've noticed is if the model is made up of several parts, it wont export a complete STL, where previously it did.
I'm selecting ALL the parts for export, but not ALL the parts will then be in the finished STL file.

For a "work around", I've now been Boolean Union all the parts together prior to exporting as an STL from MoI.

Interestingly, if I open the same MoI design with all separate parts in Rhino, I can export a complete STL from Rhino.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
630.8 In reply to 630.7 
Hi Colin,

> Has there been some kind of "tuning" of the STL export that has now
> changed the way that it used to work??

Nope... Nothing has changed in that area for a while.

Are you also seeing this when importing into the Roland software? Or is it some other software package that you are trying to bring the .stl data into?

This might be due to the way that the Roland software interprets the STL file. There is a method that can be used to label different objects in the STL file. MoI uses this method to label each different object. I tried Rhino, and it looks like the difference is that Rhino does not label different objects, it puts everything within just one object group in the STL file.

I suppose that might be to work around problems or bugs in some STL readers that might not support multiple objects in one file. I could do the same thing (just lump all triangles together into one object) if that is the source of the problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
630.9 In reply to 630.8 
Hmmm, apparently this is a small mistake in MoI's STL output - there is a structure that looks like it is supposed to be used to label different objects, but apparently it is not supposed to be used this way.

So I should be able to fix this up easily for the next beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
630.10 In reply to 630.9 
This was definitely a bug in MoI's STL export when there were multiple objects involved.

I've fixed this for the next beta, and also switched to write the more compact "Binary" type of STL file variant by default instead of the plain text version. You can still write a plain text type if you want by changing a setting in the moi.ini file.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-10