Subdivion Surface in C4D not good option by some Moi3D Objects/Parts?

Next
hello dear,

I was creating a new object again, with flow profile (a grip) with some cubes. It was very fine, but after this I couldn't made a Fillet, but with Cinema 4D I can made Subdivion Surface - with nicer edges too. But it's also impossible.

I'm sorry, I'm a newbie :)

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6298.2 In reply to 6298.1 
ps. I dont understand 100% why I can made sometimes fillet and sometimes not ... also with very small numbers not
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That is a lot of surfaces to be calculating at once. you may try and change your construction method as well. Since the pattern repeats just divide the grip into equal segments on its long axis and just filet one of the segments. Then mirror and copy the rest and join them together. I find it easier to design the model to never use polygon smoothing in the first place. To me they are very different approaches that do not blend well together.

Another option is to use a render plugin to simulate the small filets found here: http://biomekk.com/index.php?page=1&cat=107&itm=18

It works great and you can cheat to produce a better render
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6298.4 In reply to 6298.1 
Hi LF:
did you flowed cubes to do the grips?If so Fillet the cube- BEFORE- except for bottom part of it,than do the array to make copies and then flow all them (flow cubes already filleted 90 %)
now be sure that flowed cubes must compenetrate into the main cylinder (a handle ?)
if they compenetrate you can melt all together with bool-union,after this you will obtain a solid(select the object and check on top right corner,must be solid not joined surface)
now you can try to fillet the base of the grips,fillet radius must be less of half distance between two flowed cubes)
if is more you can create a self-intersecting fillet..in this case fillet fails or display artifacts

forgive me for poor english

M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6298.5 In reply to 6298.1 
Hi Lordfox, can you please post the 3DM model file that you're asking your question about instead of only a screenshot? That it's possible to zoom in and examine small details of your model like its edge structures and how tightly bent some pieces are, those things are difficult to see from a screenshot alone.

I'm not entirely sure if I understand the subdivision surface part of your question, but yes that's normal that you can't just apply subdivision surface smoothing to something you've saved out from MoI, doing subdivision surfaces requires a certain kind of polygon structure that you usually have to create by hand, the type of structure that MoI exports is not suitable for applying sub-d smoothing. If you do want to do it, you have to do what's called "retopologizing" of your model, that involves creating a new sub-d friendly polygon structure using the existing one as a guide. 3D Coat and TopoGun are some tools that have good retopologizing tools if you want to go that route.

> ps. I dont understand 100% why I can made sometimes fillet and sometimes not ... also with very small numbers not

If you can post your 3DM model file I could probably help to answer this question for you - my guess for your case here is that you've got some little tiny surface or edge pieces somewhere in there, the fillet will fail if it ends up having to totally consume away an edge or fillet to nothing. Also it looks like you have some tight bends in some areas of your model as well - that also limits filleting because filleting involves a type of offset and doing an offset of a larger radius than a bend in the shape makes the offset bunch up and become self intersecting, like this:

If you can post your 3DM model file I may be able to point out more specific problem areas.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I tried to replicate your case:
i followed two ways:first i used FLOW tool to transfer rectangular grips on cylinder(red)
second i just placed rectangular grips on the cylinder using POLAR ARRAY tool (green)
here on top wiew:

you can see difference: FLOW tool make a "distorsion" on rectangular grips when flowing
doing a close-up you can see different angles

second (green) give a better condition to the FILLET tool to work...more "opened"...

i tried to fillet flowed grips after BOOL-UNION only with a small radius,but not enough
filleting green placed grips after BOOL-UNION gave more chances

i used G2 Fillet 1mm radius,i did a lot of grips so the file is too heavy to post (100 Mb more or less)
selecting all and do the Fillet in one stroke require too much time for calculation so here,on picture, i just select 6 grips,as you can see
hope that Michael or someone else can explain better than me what i tried to show

M
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Why not just calculate just one unioned box fillet and make an array fill around the cylinder?
maybe more speedy calculation!

EDITED: 24 Nov 2013 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6298.8 In reply to 6298.7 
Ouì ...here i followed "normal" workflow:
-make a filleted grip
-do copies with ARRAY
-melt together with BOOL-UNION
-fillet contact surface between grips and cylinder

my target is always to obtain a clean solid,your suggestion is OK Pilou
other shortcut could be to trim cylinder and rectangular grip and do a BLEND,than array all etc. etc...
i just pointed attention on "distorsion" that FLOW sometime do.You know..FILLET need good conditions for working,first of all avoid areas with seams ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6298.9 In reply to 6298.8 
Thank you for your answers ... but I'm sorry, this time I couldn't post my 3DM File - I did solved my problem with PAINTING AN DISPLACEMENT-MAP ...

but I will learn from your answers. Thank you so much ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All