V3 beta Nov-19-2013 available now
 1-19  20-39  40-59  60-77

Previous
Next
Hi, Michael.

I've attached another file I'm finding hard to fillet, that might not be related to the one I posted previously, as it doesn't respond well to the 'scale up' treatment - sometimes the whole part disappears leaving only the fillet.
The green edge is the one in question here and it can be done at 3mm, but not really above or below that figure.

Many thanks.

Martin.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.61 In reply to 6297.60 
Hey Martin,
I can pretty much hit a wide range of numbers on it. There are a couple that fail, like 4 or 1..... Although, if I scale it "down" by .1, then all those numbers hit too! lol

Sorry, no answer from me.............. :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.62 In reply to 6297.61 
That's interesting, Burr.

I never tried to down scale, but that works over here too!
Thanks for the tip!

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.63 In reply to 6297.60 
Hi Martin, re: goblet fillet problem,

> The green edge is the one in question here and it can be done at 3mm, but not really above or below that figure.

It turns out this is the same bug as the one you previously posted, the easiest workaround for the moment is to bring it into MoI v2 and do that particular fillet there and then bring it back into v3.

It will be fixed for the next v3 beta, the same fix for the previous one has fixed this one as well.

Thanks for posting the file,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael.

Thank you for checking out the other file I uploaded.

When I draw a line I sometimes need to go back and edit its length. Having just tried this, it always (at the moment) seems to resize from the line's mid point, although I'm almost certain that in the past lines have also (it seems like randomly) resized from one end or the other.

Now it's not a big issue as I just drag the newly corrected line back to the right start point, but I wondered if there is already a way built in to MoI that allows lines to be resized from their ends rather than their mid point? If not, I'd like to suggest that clicking on a corner grip of a selected line would indicate the position that remains fixed when it is resized. In fact, might that also be useful when resizing any object via the Edit size window?

Merry Christmas to you and all.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.65 In reply to 6297.64 
""""", I'd like to suggest that clicking on a corner grip of a selected line would indicate the position that remains fixed when it is resized. In fact, might that also be useful when resizing any object via the Edit size window?"""""

Hey Martin,
That is in the edit frame already. When you click on a corner widget, you'll see the center ball move to the other side, indicating the origin location (The rotation widget can be placed "anywhere", when in rotation mode)

Although, it doesn't do this when using the properties size edit, like you point out....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.66 In reply to 6297.65 
Thanks for the reply, Burr.

Exactly :-) ...that's the extra bit that I would like Michael to consider putting in to MoI.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.67 In reply to 6297.64 
Hi Martin,

> When I draw a line I sometimes need to go back and edit its length. Having just tried this, it always
> (at the moment) seems to resize from the line's mid point, although I'm almost certain that in the
> past lines have also (it seems like randomly) resized from one end or the other.

As far as I can remember, it's always had the current behavior of sizing from the midpoint.

> Now it's not a big issue as I just drag the newly corrected line back to the right start point, but
> I wondered if there is already a way built in to MoI that allows lines to be resized from their ends
> rather than their mid point?

Well there is the Transform > Scale command, that lets you pick the scale origin to whichever specific point you want.

> If not, I'd like to suggest that clicking on a corner grip of a selected line would indicate the
> position that remains fixed when it is resized. In fact, might that also be useful when resizing
> any object via the Edit size window?

Hmmmm, it's an interesting idea but I'm somewhat hesitant to do it because there would be a few quirks with it, one is that on an angled line, there are 2 grips that are on the line's endpoints and 2 grips that are totally off the line's endpoints. It would be kind of weird if one of those other 2 grips ended up as the scale origin.

Currently when you click on the corner grip, the system does not remember which particular grip you clicked on, it switches a grip scaling mode back and forth. The scaling is only tied to a particular corner when you actually use one of the grips.

I don't think there is quite a strong enough direct relationship between the grip editing part to the line length editing part to try and make them interdependent like you're asking about...

Maybe another possibility would be for it to look at where you clicked on the line to select it, and anchor the scaling at the closest point to that mouse, choosing between the ends and the midpoint.... ?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.68 In reply to 6297.67 
Hi Michael.

Point taken about the problems of using the corner grips to do this, but your idea of where one clicks on the line to determine the anchor point is better, and would work well for me, if that's something you could see you way to include.

Thanks for your reply.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.69 In reply to 6297.68 
Hi Martin, so now that I look into it I remember now how it currently works - when you're resizing a line it looks through other curves and sees if that line is touching another curve endpoint at one side and if it is then it anchors the resize at that side.

If each end is touching another curve then it will anchor it at the one closest to the side where you clicked when selecting it.

If your line is just hanging out all by itself without touching any other curve endpoints, that's when it will get scaled from its midpoint instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Also, if the end of the line is touching the grid plane, then the line will be scaled at the other end.
But only a vertical line will maintain its grid point position.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.71 In reply to 6297.70 
Hi danperk, yeah that's another part of the resizing method as well, if the bounding box around the object ends on the x/y construction plane, it will project the scale origin onto that plane so the object stays resting on that plane after it's sized.

That works with any kind of object, not just a line - like if you draw a box that has the bottom of the box on the z = 0 plane, when it's resized it will stay with its bottom on the z = 0 plane.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael.

Thanks for the clarification on how it all works.
If I'm being honest, I think your idea of resizing from where the line is picked is easier to remember as it's just the one rule for all situations. It would also work where the line to be edited intersects at something other than an end/mid point of another line, or needs to overlap an object by a distance which has already been set.

All the best.

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.73 In reply to 6297.72 
Hi Martin, yeah that might be better to have it controlled by a more simple rule...

One thing that I'm not quite certain about is if an arc that has its radius being edited should also use that same rule as well.

Right now arcs follow the same current rule where if you have an arc that touches a line, and you edit the radius of the arc, it will stay anchored to the line.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.74 In reply to 6297.73 
Hi Michael.

I didn't know about that rule for arcs.

Maybe keep the current rule and add that if the arc is selected near to its mid point, then the radius change is anchored to the current centre of the arc, i.e. keep the centre where it is?

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
6297.75 In reply to 6297.1 
Wow that sounds like a nice version. I'll download it later today..

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael.

I think I've found a bug under certain circumstances when editing the size of something.
Have a peep at the video and see how the size isn't updated correctly when I double click in the Y axis box, rather than Tab to it.

http://screencast.com/t/2Prr4e5ufL

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
6297.77 In reply to 6297.76 
Hi Martin, that's just how the size box is designed to work - your typed in value is only committed if you push Enter or Tab on the keyboard, not if you just click somewhere else.

That's the same behavior generally throughout the entire MoI UI... For example if you start drawing a rectangle and type in 10 to set a width of 10 but then click somewhere else like on the "Rounded corners" checkbox without actually pushing enter, your typed in value will not be commited. Typed in values are commited throughout the UI when you push Enter or Tab to signal to MoI that you're finished typing in that field.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-77