Relative start

Next
I would like to know if theres a way of start to draw or place objects from a relative position....?
I have figured out to use the construction lines, but I need to put in exactly numbers...example.: start to draw 5mm in one direction, and 5 mm in another direction, from a relative point, or maybe even in the third direction...?

Thank you in advance!
Rozens
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.2 In reply to 628.1 
Hi Rozens, there are a couple of different methods.

One option is to enter relative coordinates directly, you do this with an "rx,y" type notation.

For example, start drawing a line. Place the first point somewhere. Now type in "r3,4" and push enter. As you type you will see your text input go into the x,y,z coordinate input in the bottom toolbar. This will place the second point of the line relative to the first point shifted in 3 units in x and 4 units in y.

Another thing that is related is distance constraint. You can activate this by typing a number into the "d" box on the bottom toolbar, or you can also just type a single number into the x,y,z box as well.

So for example, start drawing a line and place the first point somewhere. Now type in "5" and push enter - now the second point that you pick will be constrained to be 5 units away from the first but you can control which direction it is going in. Actually, I think this is the one that matches what you are asking for.

If you want to place the first point of a line relative to some other point, you basically use the same procedure as above, but do it with a construction line. This can be a little tricky because you have to enter the distance constraint before you release the mouse button which finishes the construction line. (Hmmm, looks like there is a little bug here where activating distance constraint when you are doing a construction line also activates it for the actual drawing command as well, I will fix that up).

Let me know if you would like more details on this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.3 In reply to 628.2 
Dear Michael Gibson

Your last explanation works for me....

If you want to place the first point of a line relative to some other point, you basically use the same procedure as above, but do it with a construction line. This can be a little tricky because you have to enter the distance constraint before you release the mouse button which finishes the construction line. (Hmmm, looks like there is a little bug here where activating distance constraint when you are doing a construction line also activates it for the actual drawing command as well, I will fix that up).

Start with the left mouse click from one point while dragging/hold it while you put in the number, release the mouse, and left click the point you just made while dragging/hold, and then gain put in the number...voila!...it works for me!

Looks like you can do it in any situation.....

Thanks for your explanation!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.4 In reply to 628.3 
Hi Rozen, you're welcome, I'm glad that works for you.

I have now fixed that problem for the next beta, so that if you set a distance constraint when drawing a construction line, the same distance constraint will not still be active and applying to the regular point pick after the cline is finished.

I've also added a way to turn off distance or angle constraint by putting in a 0 in either the d or angle boxes. Previously there wasn't any way to turn it off once you had turned it on.

> Looks like you can do it in any situation.....

Yup, that's the nice thing about these helper tools like construction lines - once you learn them you can usually use them for any drawing command, whether it's drawing a polyline, drawing a cylinder, etc...

- Michael

EDITED: 9 Jan 2021 by CHRI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
All that works also with a pen graphic?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.6 In reply to 628.5 
> All that works also with a pen graphic?

It does! Just instead of typing in a number to activate distance constraint, go to the "d" (for distance) box in the bottom toolbar and click on it and enter a number with the little pop-up panel. That will work without ever needing to touch the keyboard.

But actually, I guess you do need to use the keyboard for one thing I mentioned above, the "rx,y" relative coordinate method. There isn't currently any non-keyboard replacement for typing in the initial "r" to indicate relative coordinates.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.7 In reply to 628.6 
Maybe a little more keys on the pop up calculator? :)
R = relative, M O I free :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery

EDITED: 23 May 2007 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
628.8 In reply to 628.7 
Pretty soon you'll want the whole alphabet in there! :)

So far this hasn't been an issue because relative coordinates just aren't used too frequently. And if you are using them frequently you would generally want to use a keyboard for entering a larger quantity of numbers in anyway...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
628.9 In reply to 628.8 
I have just forgotten the "," (comma) for use it with the relative entry :)
So just 2 keys :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All